You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index You-Read-It-Here-First
A collection of textual novelties

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you want to read the articles here, go ahead, just click on a forum and find a thread that interests you...no need to register! If you want to post something... either new or in response to someone here, then click the Register link above. It's free... and it's fun to write your ideas here. You can even create a "blog" by starting a personal thread in the Daily Life Every Thread A Diary section...

Fairness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Economic Skirmishes on the Borders of the Status Quo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabailo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Fairness Reply with quote

Many of today's Presidental candidates speak about Change. This meme is a theme back from the 1992 Bill Clinton campaign. The Change or Changes were unspoken...it was an implicit slogan, hoping to catch a public that felt inately that things were going in the wrong direction...that a very different way of doing things was needed.

I would submit that Bill Clinton did not change much. His supporters would argue that he was hamstrung by a Republican Congress bringing the famous gridlock term into use. But gridlock was a choice the voters made, and gridlock to me says "we don't want change, we want our interests protected by styming change".

So today, no less than three major candidates still run under the change banner. The implicit change, however, does not seem to be defined beyond changing one President for another...themselves. No major candidate is articulating any divergence from Bush policies. Some want a little more of this, others a little less of that -- but the composition of programs, policies and attitudes remain the same. Those candidates are saying, "I can be the next Bush, and be better at it than him!"

I find nothing wrong with this. I am a Bush supporter and I have agreed with every major action he's taking so far. For myself, I really don't want change. If it weren't for the law, I would vote Bush for a third term.

But given that Change now has little or no meaning other than the job interests of the candidates, is there another unspoken meme that is sitting in the public unconscious?

I say the word is Fairness. Change indicates that someone wants to change the "System". Fairness says "we all agree the System is great, but some get more than others...and for what reason?" Fairness is more about equal access, equal treatment and equal rewards. The good news is that our society is on the road to Fairness. In the Internet world of perfect information, we may be creating truly equal markets. We see this in the cases where more and more "leverage" is being squeezed out. The current recession I have labelled a Rich Guys recession (cf. other post "Poor Getting Richer") where it becomes hard to make a fast buck by doing nothing at all.

But we still need to push for Fairness. To many people have been "leveraged" into false positions of greatness, only being see to fall later on when the true diverged too much from the fantasy.
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Economic Skirmishes on the Borders of the Status Quo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: