You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index You-Read-It-Here-First
A collection of textual novelties

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you want to read the articles here, go ahead, just click on a forum and find a thread that interests you...no need to register! If you want to post something... either new or in response to someone here, then click the Register link above. It's free... and it's fun to write your ideas here. You can even create a "blog" by starting a personal thread in the Daily Life Every Thread A Diary section...

Workingman's Economy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Economic Skirmishes on the Borders of the Status Quo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabailo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Workingman's Economy Reply with quote

I first posted this as a comment in the Washington Post in response to Jon Cohen's blog about "Economic Pessimism".

The "Lazy Man's" economy has definitely tanked.

People who want to move into a house with negative equity, and expect appreciation, or investors in "safe" stocks such as the DOW, or big tech like AAPL, GOOG or MSFT are not going to get something for nothing anymore. Likewise, XOM isn't going anywhere and is probably heading down (I'm calling oil at $35/brl by EOY).

This is an era where the economy is basically solid and stable. It is an era where hard work, for once in decades, can probably make you more money than day trading stocks on tips and hearsay rather than value. It make become one of the best eras for simple labor, construction, or even unskilled labor, especially in repair.

The stocks that are rising are real innovators like First Solar (up 3x YTD). I see growth in the smaller, cheaper, faster moving companies in Linux, Web 2.0, solar, fuel cells, hydrogen, nanotech. But, again, no free lunch, no easy mutual funds -- investors will have to do the brainwork to separate the wheat from the chafe.

The next "Bill Gates" may not be a four-eyed geek sitting behind a computer; he may be a guy hauling stuff in his pickup truck.
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
stock-guy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

investing in penny stocks is also a great option.
jabailo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With inflation, I'm more of a "Dollar Stock" guy...basically I find interesting stuff in the $1 to $10 range that make up my personal "mutual fund".

I'm still interested in Hydrogen and Info Tech markets by a long shot.
jabailo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.locationmgmt.com/assets/docs/Succeeding_in_an_Era_of_Labor_Shortages.htm

Succeeding in an Era of Labor Shortages

Quote:
With all of the news about layoffs in the automotive industry and its suppliers, you wouldn’t think that the United States and European Union are entering an era of labor shortages, but they are. There are several factors causing this shortage:
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Economic Skirmishes on the Borders of the Status Quo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: