You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index You-Read-It-Here-First
A collection of textual novelties

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you want to read the articles here, go ahead, just click on a forum and find a thread that interests you...no need to register! If you want to post something... either new or in response to someone here, then click the Register link above. It's free... and it's fun to write your ideas here. You can even create a "blog" by starting a personal thread in the Daily Life Every Thread A Diary section...

The Sovereign Rights of Underwater Countries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Climate Change
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brian-hansen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: The Sovereign Rights of Underwater Countries Reply with quote

In a NYT opinion piece "Life After Land", ROSEMARY RAYFUSE addresses the question about what happens to the fishing, mineral, etc. rights of island nations like Tuvalu, Kiribati, the Marshall Islands and the Maldives if they become submerged due to sea level rising from global warming.

I guess I'm just glad someone is planning ahead...
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
jabailo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own prognosis is that sea levels will fall dramatically.

I won't get into that fight with your here, but if they did fall...then what?

What about the 5 mile or 200 mile limit....imagine if our own coastline were suddenly 500 miles wider. Would we still allow Albanians to wander 10 miles inland to collect copper, or mollusks...or would a new "Law of the Rising Land" replace the Law of the Sea?
brian-hansen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Global cooling and glaciation would be the typical mechanisms for causing the sea level drop you predict. Are you also predicting these phenomena? Or have you found a new angle or "font" of scientific knowledge?
jabailo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vapor + earth expansion.
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
brian-hansen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The earth is expanding?
jabailo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<b>As Alaska Glaciers Melt, Itís Land Thatís Rising </b>

Quote:
JUNEAU, Alaska ó Global warming conjures images of rising seas that threaten coastal areas. But in Juneau, as almost nowhere else in the world, climate change is having the opposite effect: As the glaciers here melt, the land is rising, causing the sea to retreat.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/18/science/earth/18juneau.html

Yes! The Earth is Expanding. Part 1 of 14.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f6hcGJbjL0
brian-hansen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a crazy mofo. Did you know that?

So, if we had a lot of glaciers, then the reduced weight on the plate would tend to make that plate "bob" up a bit. Another good reason to own Alaskan shore property maybe. But for the rest of us, there's another theory, and unless I'm prepared to seem an ignorant boob, I've got to watch all 14 parts and read commentary from people who think that it might be "spiritually true", for instance. How else to explain pangaia?

Erosion raises sea levels. Earthquakes raise sea levels. These phenomenon tend to even out the difference between altitudes. Plate collisions would tend to both raise and lower them, and now we can add that glacier depletion raises land locally relative to the ocean. How about ocean depletion?

It's like you are throwing sand in my face. Mission accomplished, sir.
jabailo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to talk more...but I'm scouting dachas on the edge of the Northwest Territories.

6 months of sunshine.

$5 an acre.

I can't wait....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Climate Change All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: