You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index You-Read-It-Here-First
A collection of textual novelties

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you want to read the articles here, go ahead, just click on a forum and find a thread that interests you...no need to register! If you want to post something... either new or in response to someone here, then click the Register link above. It's free... and it's fun to write your ideas here. You can even create a "blog" by starting a personal thread in the Daily Life Every Thread A Diary section...

The Sentence Is The Meme

Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Brain Memes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabailo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: The Sentence Is The Meme Reply with quote

One of my pet theories is that the meme is a sentence. Here is an early Usenet post where I describe it:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.memetics/browse_thread/thread/3dbf2aebd028b177/951b01deda6a7caa?lnk=st&q=bailo+meme+sentence&rnum=1#951b01deda6a7caa

The unit of cultural transmission that is called "the meme" by Richard Dawkins is best understood in the structure of an English sentence. (Conversely, I think this is why English evolved as the lingua franca, because it most closely matches memes and is better able to act as a carrier for memes than other languages. This is especially important to cultures that send their memes on artificial devices like the Internet and CD players).

Now I find that sentence structure has been found in syntaxes used by non-human species:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,19185081-401,00.html

Quote:

'Sentences' convey monkeys' business

By Mark Henderson in London

May 19, 2006

MONKEYS are able to string together a simple "sentence", according to
research that offers the first evidence that animals may be capable of a
key feature of language.

British scientists have discovered that putty-nosed monkeys in Nigeria
sometimes communicate by combining sounds into a sequence that has a
different meaning from any of its component calls, an ability that was
thought to be uniquely human.
Although many animals communicate with one another using calls that have a particular meaning - usually a warning signifying the presence of a certain predator - none has been known to combine these alarm calls into sequences similar to those of human language.

The findings suggest that the rudiments of syntax, a basic component of
human language, may be more widespread among primates than is generally thought, and could ultimately shed light on the evolution of this most distinctly human of traits."

I think this indicates what a primal part of language the sentence is. I could also indicate the units with which we store expression and so on. In the science of memetics it could indicate the breakpoint for where something is memetically encoded. Certainly, sentence play produce some great experiments.
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
youreadit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your claims here strike me as extremely narrow for your larger point, and surprisingly parochial for your smaller one.

First, it seems misguided to try to say that a meme is a sentence. Some are, and some aren't. My impression is that most memes are basically slogans, but even so, consider that tune you can't stop humming, the visual effect that makes an artist so recognizable (and copied), as in an Escher or Magritte, for instance. I think it's fair to say the "Mc-" is a meme in our society. It would be quite a strain, I think, to call these things sentences.

In your smaller point about English as being the lingua franca because it most closely matches the structure of the meme, this strikes me as an example of what some physicists have described as "worse than wrong". An untestable hypothesis. Even if you could devise some way of testing this, it strikes me as the kind of claim that is so self-serving, and so parochial, that it is almost certainly wrong. In any case, there's plenty of social and historical arguments to explain the triumph of the English language currently.

-Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Brain Memes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: