You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index You-Read-It-Here-First
A collection of textual novelties

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you want to read the articles here, go ahead, just click on a forum and find a thread that interests you...no need to register! If you want to post something... either new or in response to someone here, then click the Register link above. It's free... and it's fun to write your ideas here. You can even create a "blog" by starting a personal thread in the Daily Life Every Thread A Diary section...

Jute, The Golden Fibre

Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Things I Should've Known
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabailo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Jute, The Golden Fibre Reply with quote

During a recent camping trip with some friends, we were going over rough country roads that were unpaved and with many rocks and ruts in them. Our car rolled over one protruding rock and broke its muffler.

The pipe sheered right in the center of the car between a baffle and the pipe -- there was no support or hoist at that point in the muffler so the forward part dragged based on the weight of the baffle.

We spend 30 minutes brainstorming and looking for materials such as cable or wire to support the baffle but they were difficult to work with and we needed something that could be tightened to lift up the baffle.

I remembered I was carrying a roll of twine in my knapsack -- and that it was made of 100% jute. When I purchased the two rolls of twine I had specifically looked to see that they were made of 100% jute and not plastic or other artificial fibres.

I was able to thread the jute easily between two eyelets on the underside and while each individual thread was not superstrong, by weaving them into a cable, it was capable of pulling up the muffler and fixing the problem temporarily.

We worried about heat enflaming the jute. But I had a feeling that the jute, because of its nature would be very heat resistant for a fibre. I found that to be true as later we inspected the jute and there was no sign of burning even after running for a long while in very hot heat.

Doing further research I see that one of the properties of jute is it's high heat resistance:

http://finance.indiamart.com/markets/commodity/jute.html

Quote:
"Jute the 'Golden Fibre' of India, has various inherent characteristics like, high tensile strength, low extensibility, long durability, fire and heat resistance"

I think that jute is a miracle fibre and we American's should do more with it and use it in our daily lives.
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Things I Should've Known All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: