You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index You-Read-It-Here-First
A collection of textual novelties

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you want to read the articles here, go ahead, just click on a forum and find a thread that interests you...no need to register! If you want to post something... either new or in response to someone here, then click the Register link above. It's free... and it's fun to write your ideas here. You can even create a "blog" by starting a personal thread in the Daily Life Every Thread A Diary section...

Lost Bees

Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Science Hoop Shots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabailo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Lost Bees Reply with quote

Bees are leaving the hive and never returning. What could cause this?

As a Biology undergrad, I worked under Professor James Gould and his graduate students during the summer. Gould was an ethologist -- a science of animal behavior. He showed that bees used UV rays in the sky, which because of clouds, provided a distinct "map" in the sky, in order to navigate.

Could this "map" be affected by recent changes in the amount of cosmic ray activity? This would dovetail with the theory of Hans Svensmark, the climatologist, who believes that global warming is entirely dependent on cosmic ray activity. This year, he showed in the laboratory that cosmic rays can interact with water vapor to create clouds. The low level clouds in the atmosphere regulate the amount of sunlight falling on the surface. Less rays -> less clouds -> higher temperature.

But I also thought, with these lessening cosmic rays, could there also be damage to the UV "sky map" that bees use? In nature, there can sometimes be very tight tolerances, especially if natural selection has been "given a break" by a long and stable period. If so, then most bees may not have the capability to deal with the lower powered sky map.
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
jabailo

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Honeybees Don't Do Squat Reply with quote

Honeybees are eclipsed in the amount of pollination they perform by other species of bees: Pollen bees.

These pollen bees are not affected by colony collapse.

http://www.ebeehoney.com/Pollination.html

Quote:
Often, growers don't realize the amount of pollination that is performed by native bees, and signs of inadequate pollination are often misinterpreted as weather problems or disease. Dr. Suzanne Batra of the USDA's Bee Research Lab in Beltsville, Maryland conducted a three-year study to discover the natural mix of bees in a West Virginia forest (3). She found that, of the 1700 bees trapped in the first year of the study, only 34 were honeybees. This means that pollen bees were performing almost all pollination.

Sounds to me like beekeepers have been conning the farmers for years...
brian-hansen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd defnitely like to learn more about what is going on with the bees.

For now, I can add one data point. Yesterday I saw 2 bees. These are
the first bees I've seen this year. Keep in mind that I live in the suburbs
and have trees that have been flowering.

The bees I saw were in the yard of a friend who does a lot of organic
gardening. One of the bees was much smaller than usual.

-Brian
jabailo

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, at work, on a big rhododendron bush I saw one bumblebee.

One.

And in my apartment recently (an hour ago) I sprayed a big hornet-ish wasp and chased it out my window. Two days ago, I did the same with a more brown waspy looking thing, but killed it dead.

I have not seen any honeybees this year at all.

One question I have is that the reports only seem to focus on hives kept by beekeepers. Is anyone studying natural hives that occur in hollow tree trunks and so on?
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Science Hoop Shots All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: