You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index You-Read-It-Here-First
A collection of textual novelties

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you want to read the articles here, go ahead, just click on a forum and find a thread that interests you...no need to register! If you want to post something... either new or in response to someone here, then click the Register link above. It's free... and it's fun to write your ideas here. You can even create a "blog" by starting a personal thread in the Daily Life Every Thread A Diary section...

Why I was right about commas inside quotation marks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Turns of Phrase
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brian-hansen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Why I was right about commas inside quotation marks Reply with quote

For decades I've refused to put punctuation marks *inside* of quotes, and generally put them *outside*. As I recall, this dates back to my first serious involvement with computers (that would be 1975 or so) and my practice and mastery of nested parentheses.

I knew intuitively that putting punctuation that relates to the sweep of the sentence *outside* the scope of the quotation, that putting it *inside* the quotation mark was a level mismatch. I guess you could say that I "flouted" the rule or convention, but if so, it was a fairly quiet flouting. I've had the oddly quiet confidence of a man sure that time would prove him right, realizing as well that confidence can be a weakness.

Today, I realized another reason why I was right about commas and quotation marks, in particular. Cutting and Pasting. When I'm pasting a quote, it is often inappropriate for punctuation associated with its particular textual context to be used in the new context.

What a "reader" of your text might want is that it be copy-paste-friendly. Commas outside of quotations is "friendlier" for this use of a text.
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
jabailo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never understood that one either.

Is it for readability reasons?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Turns of Phrase All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: