You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index You-Read-It-Here-First
A collection of textual novelties

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you want to read the articles here, go ahead, just click on a forum and find a thread that interests you...no need to register! If you want to post something... either new or in response to someone here, then click the Register link above. It's free... and it's fun to write your ideas here. You can even create a "blog" by starting a personal thread in the Daily Life Every Thread A Diary section...

Cars travel in 2-dimensions; trains only in 1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Ideas about General Transportation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabailo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Cars travel in 2-dimensions; trains only in 1 Reply with quote

The problem with linear highways and urban radial highways is they ignore the 2-dimensional nature of car travel and try to make cars into trains, a 1-dimensional technology.

Under the highway system, all cars linearly “get switched” onto the main line and then get one behind the other — like the coupled cars of a train — and head off to the same centralized location.

So, of course there are “traffic jams” — but only in the way that trains must wait for each other to move (like trains heading into the Penn Station tunnel in New York, or on occasion, the Sounder) and get stuck waiting for one another.

I was traveling to Denver today, and from the window of my Southwest 737, it occurred to me — nature builds cul de sacs, not highways. Nature is fractal in nature, when it needs to traverse an area it does it most efficiently — with branching structure.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-9Frb9ifutrA/T1w6PkId7-I/AAAAAAAAAk4/KLiEjjbweDc/s640/IMG_20120310_130001.jpg

So, too, the best way to use cars is in a branching, 2-dimensional style.

Gridded streets, and linear highways heading to a single centrally dense location — belong to the outdated, 1-dimensional technology of rail.
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
brian-hansen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does snow go? Downstream.
Where do we go, when we drive? Everywhere.
jabailo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to have taken a wrong turn on your way to Poems and Lyrics.

Or do the categories go by the wayside when the proof hits 20.
brian-hansen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nature build pathways down for rain, which, when combined, look like branching structures up.

Water doesn't go to all the other branching structures. It only goes down.
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
jabailo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brain, fed by blood in capillaries, tells me you don't have the whole story.
brian-hansen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you'll want to use the flow of blood through capillaries as your transportation metaphor, because landscapes shaped by water erosion seem inapt.

It seems to me to be the ultimate example of the 1-dimensional travel you are trying to counter. From any given point, water flows on only one particular path. Flows combine to make wide flows. A river is a traffic jam of water from multiple tributaries; a multi-lane highway, heading to one central location, the ocean.

In other words, for each drop of rain on a landscape, it can only go to one location, and only by a single path. That's why I think of that path as 1-dimensional.

And why you have to be so rude to me is beyond my understanding. I will not tolerate much more.
jabailo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that I countered your argument two posts after the point where you may have taken umbrage leads me to be suspect.

The b tree spreads on a two dimensional plane...optimally covering it, giving each leaf node maximum land and privacy.

Cars need only go where they need to go...hence the brilliance of the cul de sac.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Ideas about General Transportation All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: