You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index You-Read-It-Here-First
A collection of textual novelties

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you want to read the articles here, go ahead, just click on a forum and find a thread that interests you...no need to register! If you want to post something... either new or in response to someone here, then click the Register link above. It's free... and it's fun to write your ideas here. You can even create a "blog" by starting a personal thread in the Daily Life Every Thread A Diary section...

Talkback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Ideas about software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabailo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Talkback Reply with quote

I find that I now avoid any websites that do not allow for posting comments or other retorts. I also avoid those that have comments but require a special subscription. Additionally, I find it harder to deal with those that do not use a universal sign no like Twitter, Disqus or Facebook although I do not wish Twitter or Facebook to have the final word about "identifying" me. Disqus, which is a pure commenting system comes closer to how I want to deal with it. Ultimately, my calling card would be something that I have control over...for example, an RSA certificate that I would use to sign all posts. Why it has to be any harder than RSA public-private key cryptography when it comes to web identity is not known to me. Companies use it all the time...why not individuals?
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
brian-hansen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Identity within Citizenship Reply with quote

jabailo wrote:
I find that I now avoid any websites that do not allow for posting comments or other retorts. I also avoid those that have comments but require a special subscription. Additionally, I find it harder to deal with those that do not use a universal sign no like Twitter, Disqus or Facebook although I do not wish Twitter or Facebook to have the final word about "identifying" me. Disqus, which is a pure commenting system comes closer to how I want to deal with it. Ultimately, my calling card would be something that I have control over...for example, an RSA certificate that I would use to sign all posts. Why it has to be any harder than RSA public-private key cryptography when it comes to web identity is not known to me. Companies use it all the time...why not individuals?

It seems as though you want a kind of international system, wherein one gets one's identity within the system of citizenship. Italy accepts French passports, and France accepts Italy's. You could choose to be a citizen of Facebook, or of Twitter (the Twitter Nation).

You'd rather that no one company becomes the entity that determines your fate (so to speak) online. So you could access your online identity across a wide swath of websites by authenticating through your particular "identity portal". Once validated, by "international treaty" other "authenticators" would nominally take your identity as having been established.

Is it inevitable that one company will win the "identity" war? Will we all be treated equally between our authenticators, or are some privileges not extended when we are in "foreign" territory? I gave my facebook identity, so that should establish my ebay and twitter "citizenships" (amongst others). But those who maintain their "home" on eBay (say) might access more functionality there than those who are "just visiting", having been authenticated elsewhere.

In any case, it seems like you want an authentication server, or rather many competing available authentication servers, to check and track your identity across multiple platforms.
jabailo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I want to "be" the authentication server.

It goes back to my article on encapsulating data in objects...and my issues with centralized homogeneous data of the sort in relational database tables that describe (and distort) who and what we are.

The point being, I don't need my data ever to totally "out there" in one place, in one schema. That does not happen in real life. Yes, friends, acquaintances each have some facet of me that they retain (and make judgements on). But ultimately if you want to know me, ask me.

That is the way it should be for my e-data. I want a queryable object. I say object, because I want something heterogeneous...specific to me both in content and structure. You have to find out about it, to find what's in it. And the key to that is asking it questions.

Sound crazy? Well, my model is the human being. Grandpa, tell us about the 1960s! We don't have a table layout of people, we don't value a friend based on his social security number. We don't estimate his trustworthiness based on one event, but a lifetime of knowledge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Ideas about software All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: