You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index You-Read-It-Here-First
A collection of textual novelties

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you want to read the articles here, go ahead, just click on a forum and find a thread that interests you...no need to register! If you want to post something... either new or in response to someone here, then click the Register link above. It's free... and it's fun to write your ideas here. You can even create a "blog" by starting a personal thread in the Daily Life Every Thread A Diary section...

Billionaire on Millionaire Violence

Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Economic Skirmishes on the Borders of the Status Quo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabailo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Billionaire on Millionaire Violence Reply with quote

When I try to analyze our political system, its parties and what they advocate, I am often at a loss. It makes little or no sense because what is said and upheld as a tenet or belief is often contradicted by actions and enactments. People will tout Free Enterprise, yet vote themselves subsidies. Parties will say they are Green, but align with polluters. None of it is rational...or so it would seem.

This mathematically would indicate to me that that factors that we think or are told govern the divisions, are not the real ones. And why should they be? There isn't any sacred law that says Democrats are the party of.... and Republicans are the party of.... Often, we are stuck in paradigms and viewpoints from decades ago... when in fact, these bodies and who they elect may have shifted many times over.

While it may be inadequate, I often propose new divisions or party cliques that might be a better insight to explain behavior. I am far from satisfied with my efforts, but I do no that what we now use to "explain" things is supremely wrong!

So, I now offer that what we have are three classes in society:

Billionaires
Millionaires
Jobbers

The Billionaires are the people who have had extraordinary luck. The luck to catch a ride on assets that rose exponentially in the last 30 years. People do not understand orders of magnitude...they don't understand that a person making a million dollars a year...would take One Thousand Years to save a billion dollars assuming he spent no money, and paid no taxes. Comparatively, a person making $100,000 year would take a mere 10 years to reach a million in savings, under the same conditions.

Now millionaires, from what I have recently read, are almost entirely rich by means of jobs that pay extremely well...high managers, administrators, technical workers in very specialized fields, business owners. These people are also lucky, but have to work very hard...much more in proportion to their wealth than the billionaires.

Then there are the Jobbers. This is the bulk of people...people who only work for someone else, in positions where they can be easily replaced. They basically sell labor...even if they are doing mental work like systems analysis...because they are not selling any value added production or idea. They oar the boat of a millionaire or billionaire.

So, my theory of the political landscape is this. The Republicans are the party of the millionaires. The Democrats are the party of the billionaires. Yes. You heard me right.

Now...you exclaim...I thought that the Democrats are the party of poor people...or at least "middle class". Well, those distinctions have long since vanished. What used to be a middle class lifestyle, is really only purchaseable by a millionaire's income. The Millionaires are the middle class. They've been globalized so that a Hong Kong millionaire and an Irish millionaire and a Boise millionaire are a global middle class...doing similar work...having a similar relation in society.

The "poor and former middle class" are the Jobbers. They have one role...a vote. And for that vote, it's really bread and circuses. All the big legislation, the really important stuff, is based on a tug of war between the Billionaires and the Millionaires.

So, with the new "tax on the wealthy"...starting at $250,000. Now it's impossible to explain to a $40,000 a year Jobber, but $250,000 is not wealthy. Anyone making that much money is almost surely depending on person who has to go and do something like a professional practice each and every day...maybe working long, long hours all the time. An auto accident that disables such a person would plunge his household into the most dire poverty.

Now, why, you ask would a Billionaire want a "tax on the rich"? The reason is that the Billionaire wants a tax on the Millionaire. Because the Billionaire has assets that are often dependent on government subsidies and contracts to maintain. So, what the Billionaire wants is for there to be more money in the System...money he can grab and enhance his holdings with...especially now in a stagnant financial capital market. The only way the Billionaire can hold on is through taxing Millionaires to get their money. Enter the Democratic party which for all its ballyhooing, is really giving to the voters what amounts to a few Billionaires worth of income to something like 75 million people and calling it "job creation" or whatever.

Meanwhile, the Republican Party opposes these same cuts because its constituency is the Millionaires...and it makes the argument that these people not only employ the most people (which is true, small business does) but they are far more likely to do the direct spending such as home improvement that employes craftsmen, laborers and so on.

So there you have it.

Millionaire Republicans versus Billionaire Democrats.

You get to watch the fight...and pick up the half eaten bags of chips left on the seat.
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
brian-hansen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found I had to unfriend you when I saw the way you wrote about politics on Facebook, but I note that in this essay, I see a different kind of temperament and what seems a more mature outlook. I am impressed.

I'll be very brief. I ask you to consider that, while you have a lot of definitions refined to the point of being clear and useful, you've missed an essential element in your diagnosis.

Using your terms, I invite you to consider that the conflict you describe is between the party of the Millionaires and Billionaires, the "Republican Party", and the party of the Jobbers and Billionaires, the "Democratic Party".

Without wanting to spend a lot of time to back this up with evidence for now, I'd just say that for every billionaire Democrat you can find, I think I could find multiple billionaire Republicans.

So, would this configuration change anything for your viewpoint?
jabailo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, actually I have been thinking along those lines and was considering making a similar revision.

I think my Facebook Friends list was reduced by quite a lot probably for similar reasons from others.

Not sure what to do about ... or if I care that much.

I think the Facebook model is fairly brittle, and for myself, have no doubt broken it...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Economic Skirmishes on the Borders of the Status Quo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: