You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index You-Read-It-Here-First
A collection of textual novelties

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you want to read the articles here, go ahead, just click on a forum and find a thread that interests you...no need to register! If you want to post something... either new or in response to someone here, then click the Register link above. It's free... and it's fun to write your ideas here. You can even create a "blog" by starting a personal thread in the Daily Life Every Thread A Diary section...

Self-Optometry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Economic Skirmishes on the Borders of the Status Quo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brian-hansen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Self-Optometry Reply with quote

The slack economy has a negative effect on people's moods, but just a few items demonstrate that life is getting easier, even as making a living is getting harder.

Consider, as a quick example, the home pregnancy test for available for $1 at a dollar store nearby. What a treasure this would've been 100 years ago, say. What might someone go through to achieve the same bit of information , even 50 years ago, or 20? Now its $1, and one minute, on the way home from work.

Now, I find another modern wonder: the $10 pair of glasses.

If I limit myself to choosing only from 49 different frames, and getting no extra uv, tint, protective coatings or bifocals, I can get a complete set of eyeglasses for $10 plus $7 shipping. Since I'm not buying a special lens, my glasses might be abnormally thick or heavy. On the plus side, the same shipping price holds for 2 pairs, and perhaps more. This means that I could get several pairs, and the marginal price per pair would be very close to $11. A pretty phenomenal deal. It might be too good to be true, but I think I'll be trying it, and soon, before they change their mind.

Seems to work for first time customers only, and a coupon code is required.

I'm still juggling the idea of $11 eyeglasses in my mind. I might go for the Elton John approach and have lots of different frames to suit different moods, but there may be a more interesting approach. I'm considering buying multiple otherwise identical eyeglasses that differ only in the focal distance, or the spherical correction (SPH) of the lenses. I'm thinking that I could have a range of glasses, bracketing the correction in much the same way that a photographer would bracket a picture, by varying one element of the photograph both above and below the supposed optimum level.

It turns out that only one extra number is needed to determine the nature of a bifocal (or secondary) lens, once one has the 7 optical-based parameters necessary to prepare a pair of eyeglasses.

I'm just starting on my research. I could choose one pair intermediate between normal glasses and reading glasses. Maybe these would be best for seeing in the garden, but not good for driving. I could choose a setting that is stronger than my current bifocal lenses. I wonder how much clearer they might be on seeing images that were very close? Finally, I could choose lenses that followed the other extreme. Would my far distance viewing be enhanced? If the standard is 20/20 vision, but I know that some people have 20/10 vision, shouldn't I want my glasses to make my vision 20/10? Would it be an unbearable strain, or impossible, a long-term mistake, or no big deal?

The site lets me input 7 parameters and choose a frame, so, at $11 per, let the experiments begin.
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
jabailo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you provide a link to the site that offers the glasses?

Last edited by jabailo on Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
brian-hansen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought 3 pairs last night for a total of $36.95 (including shipping).

I don't know how long they'll offer this rate (actually the page said that the offer ended 3 days ago, but the site still accepted the transaction).

It is

http://www.coastalcontacts.com/glasses/cTodayShow.html?gclid=CPPP_eG_masCFQwaQgodSTCchg#brandFilters=[]&attr_searchGenders=[Men]&size_glassesLensDiameter=[]&size_glassesBridgeWidth=[]&size_glassesTempleLength=[]&size_glassesFrameWidth_si=[]&size_glassesLensHeight=[]&categoryCode=TodayShow&filterGroup=searchGenders&minPrice=0&maxPrice=500&page=1&pdi_searchGenders=[]&sorting=featuredAnywhere-asc&widgetExpanded=true&perfectFitExpanded=false&requestIdentifier=60190

The coupon code was: todayglasses
jabailo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The splash ad on their home page advertises the $9 sale still:

http://www.coastalcontacts.com/glasses/clearance/cClearance-p1.html?ilid=clearanceeghp

At $9.00 I'll have to dig up a prescription and check this out.

This would be something like a 3000% cost savings for me based on where my glasses price has been escalating to...and that's with using a "cheap" standard retail optician chain!!
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
brian-hansen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I'm mistaken, my link is a better deal, since there is no handling charge, and shipping is capped at $6.95
jabailo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I click on your link, and sort by price, the lowest Men's price frame is $29.00

When I click on the Clearance link, the lowest Female frame price is $9.00 and the lowest Men's price is $19.00 But yes, I do not see a code for free shipping.
brian-hansen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The coupon code at the end of the process resets the prices.
brian-hansen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initial follow-up:

My order was received in Blaine Washington, and marked as shipped from Kent Washington today. Delivery is expected for 2 days from now. That is a 4-day turnaround overall.

So I get to add fast fabrication and speedy shipment to the other crazily good attributes of this deal. We'll see how I feel when the glasses arrive.
jabailo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting...there's a lot of warehouses and factories around here...wonder if I could just walk in and check them out.

Still, I'm sure you'll let us know the result...I wouldn't mind getting away from multi-hundred dollar bills for eyeware!
brian-hansen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been occupied with other matters, but now I can finish describing how things went with Coastal Contacts.

My glasses were delivered in a matter of days. While not the ultimate in style (I was choosing from the 49 slowest sellers, I presume), the glasses were perfectly functional. I'd be satisfied if that were all there was, but they must really want my business because the deal kept getting better and better.

Included in my shipment were very nice cases. A slip of paper indicated that for every pair that I bought, they were donating a pair to a needy person in a third world country. They included a code that I could give to a friend for a substantial discount (haven't tested this), and now I see that they will give me a credit if someone uses a link that I will include below.

I'm trying to figure out what to do for Halloween. I'm thinking of something really scary, like a "happy banker". If I can settle on this, I might just buy glasses as a prop. They've demonstrated that they are fast enough.

Overall, A+.

That link: http://www.coastalcontacts.com/refer/7335805424
jabailo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your prescription?

I have 20/1000 vision in both eyes, so with standard lenses my glasses are about an inch thick and weight 90 pounds.

Thus I always have to buy the more expensive super-lite plastic.
brian-hansen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More to the point: what is *your* prescription?

The prescription for corrective lenses goes beyond the 20 / whatever measurement that I grew up with. A prescription gives measurements for at least 3 attributes for each eye, plus a measurement of the distance between your pupils.

If you have, or can obtain those specs (so to speak), you could send them to me, or you could enter them directly into the website (hopefully, using the link I provided). In my case, the site recommended the thinner, more expensive lens, but it allowed my to override this. The lenses on the eyeglasses I received varied as to thickness. In some cases for me (vision 20/300 in one eye) the lenses were noticeably thicker than other glasses I have used. Probably not the keenest fashion choice, but I've come to not worry much about that. I figure if I'm out of fashion, maybe I'll start a trend.

Another pair was not noticeably thicker than other glasses I have worn. The key appears to be to choose frames that use smaller lenses. The smaller the lens, the less extra density needed to correct the vision over the whole area.

When I go there now, using the link above, I find, again, glasses for $10 and $15 that would seem to be acceptable. I was able to do all but pay for them, and found that the same kind of deal seems to still be operative: a complete pair for about $10, and $7 shipping no matter how many ordered. A phenomenal deal.

So far, my experience with these folks is that they do everything right, and keep making the deal better and better. I'm going back before too long, to gather some more experimental, self-optometric, data.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Economic Skirmishes on the Borders of the Status Quo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: