You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index You-Read-It-Here-First
A collection of textual novelties

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you want to read the articles here, go ahead, just click on a forum and find a thread that interests you...no need to register! If you want to post something... either new or in response to someone here, then click the Register link above. It's free... and it's fun to write your ideas here. You can even create a "blog" by starting a personal thread in the Daily Life Every Thread A Diary section...

Revenge of the Soshes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Ideas about software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brian-hansen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Revenge of the Soshes Reply with quote

Sometimes it seems like High School will never end.

I managed to avoid the half-hearted reunion effort, and the march to save the building when the district was testing the waters for which high school to close, but the patterns we made there, no matter how much we try to redefine and re-interpret them away, stay with us.

In my high school, which differed somewhat from the most common ones of the 1970's, there were jocks and nerds, and there were "soshes" (soc's?). I knew these weren't entirely mutually exclusive, but, thinking back on it, I suppose I thought that this was "covering". Now I'm not so sure.

For Nerds, understanding other humans was difficult and maybe painful, and so one might never be popular, but one could take some satisfaction at being brainy. Especially since it was unlikely that one could become a sports hero.

Later we saw, as a culture, the rise of the nerd billionaire, and the revenge over those high school tormentors. The "Revenge of the Nerds" movie franchise seemed to have come true. The gods know, though, that one's downfall ultimately comes from taking satisfaction at one's success. Nerd ascendancy couldn't last, and now, due to Facebook, et al, we are seeing the Revenge of the Soshes.

My knowledge of matrix algebra might've helped me land a job at that high tech company, but now that there's not so much programming to be done, the ones who got by on charm and good looks, and daddy's money, and/or an easy way in groups, the club tie, the cultural reference and the confidence to place it, the skillful use of social stigma, its their turn to shine, from their phones, into the twitterverse. I don't begrudge them their time in the sun. My envy is renewed.
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
jabailo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like your missing half of this fascinating essay...as in, what exactly are Sosh's?

Are you talking about social networking, and the rise of the glib, connected friender as the tech equal of the go off to your Mom's basement and write the next "Killer App" style?

I do agree that the Nerds went to far, and have had quite enough Revenge.

Getting rid of them, though, might be as difficult as displacing former revolutionaries turned dictators. Castro comes to mind.
brian-hansen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Soshes were a clique when I attended high school. I thought I knew what or who they were then, but it is somewhat less clear now. Maybe they were popular. They seemed to like to socialize, and maybe had some skill in that area. They might've had lots of friends and gone to parties. Maybe they were just regular kids, and my coke bottle glasses kept me from seeing them clearly.

The epithet suggested in them a shallowness, and insincerity; but, even then I recognized my view was distorted by a touch of envy. Ultimately, they didn't seem very interesting, though.

They've been busy all these years, selling each other things, and having each other's babies, etc. Only now are the platforms available to allow them to translate that local popularity (what they seemed to be good at) into a larger arena. Now, once again, they've got lots of "friends" and lots of people "like" them. There's every reason to believe that they've got their confidence back, and its their turn to shine.
jabailo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps even the Soshes then have had their day.

If the Nerds ruled the first part of the Commercial Age of Computing (mid 80s through 90s), then the Soshes certainly dominated during the IPO fed, glitz and glamor days of the "net" startup. Beautiful people making beautiful marketing plans for vaporware.

I posit that it time to give the Loners a swing at the bat. I mean, really, at some point all of this social interaction will lead to total entropy. It's getting to the point that whenever I see a certain type of article or post, I can guess the jokes that will be made in the comments section. No matter how obscure the online newspaper, there is always the guy who behaves this way, and one who behaves that.

It's getting downright....boring! And that's the real death knell for all this online socializing...I mean, think about friends in real life. Haven't you ever had a friend who for the first year of your friendship, you couldn't get enough of them...you would wake up and the first though would be, "I wonder what Jimbo is doing"...but then, at some point, you pretty much incorporated all that Jimbo had to say...and suddenly you didn't have that desire...and maybe you were starting to get a bit repulsed...you wanted to not be anywhere near Jimbo anymore.

See...with the Global Village...all of humanity is Jimbo!! We could have a mass instantaneous saturation with everything that anyone else has to say.

This is why I am trying to make the '10s the Decade of the Loner.

Herewith, some guides:

Quote:
There are two distinct types of individuals that are called loners. The first type includes individuals that prefer solitude and are content to have very limited social interaction. The second type includes individuals that are forced to be isolated because they are rejected by society. This individual typically experiences loneliness.

The first type are not lonely even when they are alone.[6] However, these are very broad generalizations and it is not uncommon for loners to experience both of these dimensions at some point—their bliss due to solitude may come at the price of loneliness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loner

We of course are talking about the first type.

Field Guide to the Loner: The Real Insiders
http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200703/field-guide-the-loner-the-real-insiders

How to Become a Loner
http://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Loner

I'm actually sort of serious about this.

It's really beginning to wear on me that "Creativity" consists of making oodles of cultural references to classic TV sitcoms and posting links to links of a story about something that is completely unverified.

We need to put people in Loner jobs doing things that require little or no social skills. In fact, these skills could be detrimental. Let them go off and observe and record, like they are want to do....primary data. Primary experience. Isolated thought. Repairing "one's soul". Hunkering down. Sealing oneself in the igloo.

As J. Lennon sang in the song Isolation...

Quote:
I don't expect you to understand
After you've caused so much pain
But then again, you're not to blame
You're just a human, a victim of the insane
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
jabailo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and if we ever manage to get back to the topic of this group...what would Loner Software be like...?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Ideas about software All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: