You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index You-Read-It-Here-First
A collection of textual novelties

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you want to read the articles here, go ahead, just click on a forum and find a thread that interests you...no need to register! If you want to post something... either new or in response to someone here, then click the Register link above. It's free... and it's fun to write your ideas here. You can even create a "blog" by starting a personal thread in the Daily Life Every Thread A Diary section...

Long-term unemployment leads to Hansen Economy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Economic Skirmishes on the Borders of the Status Quo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brian-hansen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Long-term unemployment leads to Hansen Economy Reply with quote

In comments to the NYT, Kathleen from Oakland, CA wrote:

Quote:
My unemployment experience permanently altered my trust of employers and any interest I had in luxurious living. I stopped spending, even when I again had the means to spend: no travel; only basic clothing; home-cooking; economy cars only for work commute; no mortgage; and no TV or cable--I completely abandoned my “consumer” role. I now see this as the silver lining of my unemployment.

Business doesn’t understand how unemployment changes people, and those changes are not to business’s advantage!

In an economy based on consumer spending, what happens when we realize it’s all meaningless, and we abandon spending?

Do employers believe employees will do their best work if they’re continually insecure about keeping a job?

Do employers know how ruinously corrosive such job insecurities are to morale, how destructive to loyalty, or what they’ve lost when they lose such loyalty and dedication?

http://community.nytimes.com/comments/kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/27/readers-and-unemployment/?permid=213#comment213
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Economic Skirmishes on the Borders of the Status Quo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: