You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index You-Read-It-Here-First
A collection of textual novelties

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you want to read the articles here, go ahead, just click on a forum and find a thread that interests you...no need to register! If you want to post something... either new or in response to someone here, then click the Register link above. It's free... and it's fun to write your ideas here. You can even create a "blog" by starting a personal thread in the Daily Life Every Thread A Diary section...

Texeme, WA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> The Corporation as Person
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabailo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Texeme, WA Reply with quote

Being part of a group has always been a double edge sword for me. I like participating and working with people, and I like the strength and work sharing of groups. But at the same time, my preferences are so idiosyncratic and my love of individuality so great that I tend to be at the periphery of groups. Never the chairman more always a consultant or adviser or simply...a foot soldier. That leads me to want to create new groups or categories into which I can fit myself. Sometimes, rarely, someone else will want to be part of these groups...but often, it remains a set whose cardinality is ... one.

For example, I am a Republican and a Tea Party participant. I put myself in these groups for a number of reasons. I am in business and like business and the Republicans are the party of business. I also want to get my "seat at the table" as they say, and simply put, I don't think the Democrats would ever give me a seat. The Republicans, at least, may set up the rules so I can build my own. The Tea Party is the future to me...and I like it because it is still amorphous, user defined and leaderless. This last tidbit is indigestible by Liberals who are constantly saying that the "leader of the Tea Party said ____ and so all you Tea Partiers must be _____". It just doesn't work that way. I like to think of all my groups as based on me when I am in them. So, people will say "Republicans don't like gays", I then say "well, I'm an elected Republican and I like gays". At that point they either go stone quiet, change the subject or ignore me and rattle on. The latter being the most common response.

Cities, towns, suburbs and places give me trouble. In McLuhaneque hommage, I have proclaimed many times that the city is obsolete. By that I mean that the technologies of transportation (ships) and communications (wall streets) and utilities (pipes) optimize with density and that's why cities happened. However, wimix, hydrogen and fuel cells are technologies that may allow us to drop ship a containerized "insta-house" in the desert, switch it on, and take it from there. The suburbs with their many-to-many points of contact, and the Web with its aspatial societies and now FourSquare.com the GPS driven location-based social network that tells you when your friends are near are all taking over from having to live in the same apartment building with all the other cool people.

That said, I recently described myself as a citizen of Texeme, WA. A town of one, using my business name, a sole proprietorship meaning I cannot hide behind a fictitious "person"...it's just little old me. And if you Google my place, my proprietorship, myself, you'll find me...here:

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=texeme,+wa&fb=1&gl=us&hq=texeme,&hnear=Washington&cid=9644712821294971086
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
jabailo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side note:

Not only is the statement the city is obsolete which I had formerly attributed to myself McLuhanesque, it's actually from McLuhan himself as I just Googled (I guess like in the famous Annie Hall scene, I know nothing about his work...):

http://books.google.com/books?id=Mv47CR48DoEC&pg=PA24&lpg=PA24&dq=%22the+city+is+obsolete%22&source=bl&ots=x0BdZdB_ey&sig=V1hFM3uh0NOuZfs4a9fUQjmYguo&hl=en&ei=iJh0TZKABomgsQPjw6DHCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAjgK#v=onepage&q=%22the%20city%20is%20obsolete%22&f=false
Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> The Corporation as Person All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: