You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index You-Read-It-Here-First
A collection of textual novelties

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you want to read the articles here, go ahead, just click on a forum and find a thread that interests you...no need to register! If you want to post something... either new or in response to someone here, then click the Register link above. It's free... and it's fun to write your ideas here. You can even create a "blog" by starting a personal thread in the Daily Life Every Thread A Diary section...

Failsafe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Ideas about software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabailo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Failsafe Reply with quote

I have an Oregon Scientific thermometer/satellite sync'd clock (great for Daylight Savings Time...automatically adjusts). It has 3 channels for remote themometers and a I have one of those outside my apartment on the balcony.

Recently, I have had a hard time reading the master unit...I thought it was the lack of light in my room or my eyes aging. I kept having to contort the display until I got enough light on it to read it...but it happened very gradually over time.

Then two days ago, I stopped getting a reading from the outdoor thermometer. I assumed it's battery had gone low, and when I looked at it (it has its own display) I noticed that the little red light that indicates a signal was not flashing. I replaced the AAs with two I had on hand, and yet it still did not send a signal to the main unit. I guessed that the two batteries were ones that I thought were "ok" but may have degraded, so I tried again with two new batteries. Same problem.

Through all of this and with today being the first really sunny day here in Kent, WA in what seems like months, I saw -- there was a battery low indicator on the master unit! Problem solved. I retrieved the two batteries I had thrown away in the garbage (still good), dumped the two from the main unit and continued on.

So, system failure causes system monitor to not be readable causing wrong diagnosis.
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Ideas about software All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: