You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index You-Read-It-Here-First
A collection of textual novelties

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you want to read the articles here, go ahead, just click on a forum and find a thread that interests you...no need to register! If you want to post something... either new or in response to someone here, then click the Register link above. It's free... and it's fun to write your ideas here. You can even create a "blog" by starting a personal thread in the Daily Life Every Thread A Diary section...

The Questioners

Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Turns of Phrase
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabailo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: The Questioners Reply with quote

In high school, my physics professor selected me to participate in a special program for students to stay a weekend at Bell Labs and tour the facility and get introduced to the researchers and their projects.

It was a great time. This was back in 1977 and I remember seeing with amazement things like voice recognition systems that would print out what was said on teletype style computer terminals. I also remember a giant sound suppression cube which dampened all echoes...we walked out on lattice wire grid to the center of it and it was totally black...and quiet! Of course there were numerous presentation on optical fibers...AT&T's favorite technology.

But what I also remember was being given a book called The Questioners. It was about the lives of the particle physicists, Bohr, Pauli and others. What stuck with me most though is the title. The Questioners. They asked great questions. They questioned everything. That's one of their skills...not so much elaborate structures of theory, but asking the questions that break the current idea, or which answer themselves.

I now wish to label those who challenge Al Gore's theory of Anthropomorphic Global Warming not "deniers", but Questioners. We raise and ask better questions than the "settled science" can answer!
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
Time Clock

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Bell Labs Reply with quote

Einstein said something to the effect that he was no smarter than most people, it was just that he stuck with a problem longer. I believe questioning a problem from every angle is why he was able to puzzle things out, and some of his questions about reality itself are quite interesting given the type of thinking that was common to his time.

I graduated 77 so I'm sure if you rewind to grade school you'll remember the Bell Labs films. Those were great, on big reels and no classwork, just watch a Bell Labs movie. I still remember the strongman people in the body pumping the heart, and the dispatch guy in our brain :)
jabailo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A page of quotes about Questions (many Science related)

http://www1.bbiq.jp/quotations/question.htm

Including:

Quote:
If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers.--Thomas Pynchon

That is the essence of science: ask an impertinent question, and you are on the way to the pertinent answer.--- Jacob Bronowski, 1908 - 1974

The scientific mind does not so much provide the right answers as ask the right questions.--Claude Levi-Strauss (The Raw and the Cooked)
Time Clock

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: movir qoute - asking the right question Reply with quote

Not at all scientific, but I enjoyed this exchange from the movie "Just Like Heaven" about asking the right qustion:

(spoiler alert)

Quote:
Darryl: Wow, you are totally asking the wrong questions, man.
David: Why is that wrong?
Darryl: Look, I have a gift. I didn't ask for it but I do. I can sense these things, spirits, whatever you want to call it. Why they hang around here in the first place, that's their unfinished business?
David: So do I have the gift?
Darryl: Dude, please, you definitely do not have it. You're a civilian.
David: But if I don't have it, how is that I can see her and talk to her when no one else can?
Darryl: Exactly.
David: Exactly what?
Darryl: That's the right question.
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
brian-hansen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Prine had a great line about questions in the song "Far From Me":

Quote:
a question ain't really a question if you know the answer too.
jabailo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity.

http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/9316.html

Albert Einstein
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Turns of Phrase All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: