You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index You-Read-It-Here-First
A collection of textual novelties

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you want to read the articles here, go ahead, just click on a forum and find a thread that interests you...no need to register! If you want to post something... either new or in response to someone here, then click the Register link above. It's free... and it's fun to write your ideas here. You can even create a "blog" by starting a personal thread in the Daily Life Every Thread A Diary section...

Peace Is Breaking Out All Over

Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Economic Skirmishes on the Borders of the Status Quo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabailo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Peace Is Breaking Out All Over Reply with quote

North Korea takes a nose dive.

And China wants to mend.

The Arabs soften.
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
blueberry sushi

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: War wins again Reply with quote

Ummmm ... I don't think that peace is breaking out all over. War may have shifted to new regions (or not - Sudan - ahem), but it has hardly been eradicated.

Rather, our own nation has entered a new war, a perpetual war, in which we're not really much better than the enemy that we're attacking. In fact, the lines between ourselves and the enemy have blurred to the point that our (democratically-elected) leaders justify the use of torture and indefinite detainment without trial.

I was amazed when I was living in Central Asia (and then travelling through Russia) that there was a civil war going on in Russia, and yet people rarely discussed it, and in fact it was more visible on the BBC than in Russian newspapers. There is an amazing ability to pretend that everything is fine. Russians were extremely adept at this during the Soviet days, and though I think that Russians have a much more nihilistic (or, maybe I should say "tough") attitude than Americans, I think this is virtually the same attitude that most Americans display toward the war.

At any rate, I'm not sure what a softening Arab is - maybe melting ice cream?
jabailo

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Our Man in Iran Reply with quote

I definitely see a lot more sympathy from Iran which has conceded on several issues (the English sailors being the most recent).

Iran now has a moderate majority which does not want the theocrats in power...they want Westernization.

We are better than the enemy we are attacking because our system is based on equality and free speech and their system is based on forcing women to be slaves and cutting peoples hands off.
youreadit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what little I understand of Iran, I agree that there *is*
what you call a "moderate majority" there, mostly younger people,
who identify with western ideas, art and culture. That is one reason
why I have not supported using military force to dominate Iran, nor
calling Iranians "the enemy". Rather than fight Iran, our country should
do what it can to encourage more dialogue.

As for the release of the English sailors, that was done via good old-
fashioned diplomacy. A good lesson from the British to us.

I have to admit, I get a little perturbed whenever I hear someone
referring to "the enemy" in the last few years. I can guess from some
of your earlier posts, John, that you think of "radical Islamists" as the
enemy. But Iraq, for example, was not a home for major radical Islamists
before our attack. Saddam was a secularist, and kept that element
suppressed.

While I'm on the subject, "victory" is another term that has lost its
meaning for me. In Iraq, we are presiding over an occupation, not
a war. The war was won several years ago, and it doesn't make sense
to talk about "winning" an occupation.

So, if I take you at your word, and accept that radical islamists are
"the enemy", and that these are characterized by cutting off hands, etc.,
then, yes, we are better than them. Of course, other societies restrict
free speech. In a recent rating, the US was in something like 30th
place in respecting freedom of the press. And one of the other good
things about us (until recently) was that we did not torture. Let's not
give up these good qualities, lest we "become like the enemy".
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Economic Skirmishes on the Borders of the Status Quo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: