You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index You-Read-It-Here-First
A collection of textual novelties

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you want to read the articles here, go ahead, just click on a forum and find a thread that interests you...no need to register! If you want to post something... either new or in response to someone here, then click the Register link above. It's free... and it's fun to write your ideas here. You can even create a "blog" by starting a personal thread in the Daily Life Every Thread A Diary section...

John Bailo's Diary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Every Thread a Diary
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabailo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: John Bailo's Diary Reply with quote

Do you think there are zombies? I do...in fact, shopping at a Wal*Mart today, I thought: I'm surrounded...Dawn of the Dead and all.

A zombie is a body that has detached from its soul or consciousness (In software, we use the word zombie to describe a program that cannot be stopped because it's detached from whatever head or link there was to control it. In a good OS, you can issue the "kill" command. In a bad OS (Windows), you reboot.) The zombie body continues walking, doing, but without any sensitivity to the rest of the world.

I think there are zombies in the world. I felt this many years ago, flying into Kennedy Airport. This was before 9/11. There was just this feeling that everyone there was dead. Obviously walking around and all, but there was just no consciousness there...mere automata. I thought, I'm glad I live in Seattle -- people are really alive there.

Sadly, the disease has spread. More and more people are on automatic. You can just tell -- they go around, smiling, making the "wrong" reactions to things. Repeating the same phases ("You have a nice day", "Sir, may I help you") that spread through the zombomemesphere.

This trend may or may not stop.
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
jabailo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Dr. King Sleepless in Seattle Reply with quote

The Seattle Post Intelligencer (local newspaper) asked readers to write in about Dr. King and his legacy today. I wrote this letter to them:

Quote:
Seattle Fails Dr. King
(John A. Bailo, Sun Jan  7 01:47:15 2007)

I think that Seattle has become so brutish and backward in the last few years, that Dr. King would hang his head in shame if he were alive and walking around downtown.

Go into any Starbucks.  If you are above a certain age, the person at the counter will greet you as "Sir".  This is not a term of respect (although, if I launched a suit against them, they would claim such).   It is a term of age discrimination.    It's the same, to me, as long ago when a Black man might be called "Boy" and no one would bat an eyelid. No one at Starbucks will admit or condemn this behavior.  I have written 10 customer complaints but to no avail (except for a few free latte coupons).

This is just one of the many examples of the daily slights that exist in Seattle society. Take Microsoft for example. It's de rigeur that one has to ride a snowboard and listen to The End.   Suppose the person just writes good code.    It is to no avail -- the group dynamic and prejudices are stronger than the professional quality of the person.

People here are very monoculturally oriented.   They gang up and judge everyone by strict adherence to the norm.    The danger is that Liberal Seattlites are so smug in thinking they are free of the old prejudices...but they carry new baggage and presuppose how people should be and what they should look like and how they should act.   Your own hubris blinds you to this.
jabailo

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, today I finally got my bike on the road and took a short jaunt. However, traffic ills and poorly constructed bike lanes did not make my day. So much so that I sent a letter to the Mayor of Kent and our City Council excoriating them for leaving such a busy street in a sorry state.

Well, in the past they've been responsive and prompt to my plaints.

Let's see what happens!
jabailo

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Gore...do you want to stop pollution?

Talk to China....everyday, inefficient Chinese coal plants are dumping tons of pollution on the Northwest. I know. I can breathe it.

For once, take a position supporting your country...instead of disparaging it!

Let's curtail the Chinese until they play by the rules.
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
jabailo

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enter Green Indulgences...What is a Green Endulgance. It's a very visible and PR savvy way of presenting a good work for the environment (or, let's just lump in all World-Do-Goodism) as a way for erasing the 99% of the time you spend raping and pillaging Mother Nature.
jabailo

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in a lower middle class to poor neighborhood in Kent East Hill, Washington State, USA, about 16 miles southeast of Seattle.

The people here are working poor or plain poor. Driving and walking the streets it also seems about 80% immigrant: Indian, Vietnamese, Somali, Mexican, just about everywhere that has a significant US immigration rate.

I was eating my dinner yesterday and watching The Old Star Trek (remastered) yesterday, and I realized...to these people, my middle class tastes and appurtenances must make me seem a fool, or perhaps a crazy person. Phasers? Transporters? And most of all the bombastic bleatings of Kirk, the guru laconic quips of Spock and the grumbling snorts of Bones would seem not decades, but millenia away from today's American Idol audience.

I was playing Talking Heads '77 earlier that morning. Yes, to anyone who went to college or who listens to alternative radio, the playing of "Psycho Killer" or "Pulled Me Up" brings a smile and gets the blood circulating with good rock and rock beats.

But to someone who just moved here? I tried to imagine what it was like listening to David Byrne's grunts and psychotic tic noises for the first time! I would get back on slow boat to Bangalore if that was what my American neighbor took for music.
jabailo

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched the movie Alfie (2004), the updated version of the Michael Caine classic. I never saw the original, but I thought I had some idea about what it was on. I thought maybe I'd watch the new one first just to be different, and watch the old one second.

Well, maybe I don't really know what Alfie was about, or maybe I should have watched the first, first. What I expected was a story of a randy young man, who chases the birds, and eventually gets a bit of comeuppance. You know, some good, some bad, as in life.

What was in this movie was different. In each and every situation for Alfie, who unabashedly professed his belief to be wine and women, "mostly women" and who felt the ultimate arbiter of a woman's worth was measure in "FBB" (face, boobs, bum), it turned out badly...or horrible actually.

Well, ok, there was one (one) truly hot sex scene, between him and what I would call a very well preserved 40ish woman. But it soon ended, and she was married and had to get back to her "life". Alfie ditched her, so mores the pity for him, but after all she wasn't the prize peach he desired.

Then there was his "girlfriend" who he used as a kind of nesting ground, Marisa Tomei (don't think of her in My Cousin Vinne...times have changed...it's almost two decades later), who plays a single Mom with a son. She wants The Committment...Alfie wants Fun...she finds out about the other girl and dumps him.

Following that there is tragedy after tragedy...Alfie is put through the ultimate injustices of physical maleness, beginning with finding a "lump on his penis", followed by impotence despite snagging a line of pretty girls, in one case, two at a time. Word even gets around that he "doesn't deliver".

While all this is going on, he finds out he's impregnated his best friend's former girl friend (who thereafter went back to the best friend). The girl was trying to get revenge for the man's indiscretion, and boy does she get it. She lies to Alfie about getting an abortion. She seems to make Alfie love her and then turns around and marries the other guy. Then, (spoiler alert) when Alfie visits them months later, she's given birth to a mulatto baby - Alfie's, forever hurting the best friend, and his relationship with his girlfriend, and their relationship with Alfie. Can revenge be carried too far? Not in this version of Alfie.

It goes on and on. But far from this being a lesson for Alfie, to me it seems like a catalog of the meanness of women towards the thing they love to hate: a free spirited and non-monogamous male. Yes, this is Alfie, rewritten by some modern day Betty Friedan, in which anything that spells male potency is skewered (penis lump) and anything that calls for unfettered sex is prevented (impotence) or turns out to be not so unfettered after all and carries a high, high price (a baby).

Sadly, I think this is not the true nature of maleness and life or sex. I think that there is truth somewhere in between. However, I do think this is a documentary about the way things are right now in 2007...and how far the pendulum has "swung" from the Austin Powers days of 1966's Alfie.

I don't think this is a good thing. I don't think just restricting nature of one sex and shoehorning it into something that "makes everyone happy" is right -- nor can it last. You see in the current times what you see in Alfie, Marisa Tomei dumps Alfie for the more feminized, bi-sexual boyfriend...and Susan Saradon (billed in the movie as the 50 that is the new 40...more like the 60 that is the old 60 to me) dumping Alfie, who while dating her had the beautiful live in Sienna Miller as his lover, for a younger man.

Even Alfie's dream girl, the aforementioned Sienna (one of the best movie girls in the world today) gets dumped by Alfie. Yes, she's a little flighty but so is Alfie. Quite frankly, I think Alfie would have stuck with her no matter what -- but instead it continues its dreary morality to the end. No, Alfie couldn't possibly be happy with a blonde girl with the most perfect body running around his apartment, the one he's wanted for ages. They contrive the plot to make you think he'd want "something else"...like the 50-ish (new 40-ish) woman.

Look...let me tell you something. Alfie would have held on to Sienna Miller until the day he died. There his no way he'd kick her out. Only in the super-feminized, everyone's not happy unless their at least bi-sexual, 00s, in a movie written by the anti-hetero Hollywood, would Alfie be dissatisfied.

And I think a lot of men feel this way. Part of the pendulum being so far to the Venus symbol and away from the Mars symbol is simple. In the 1960s there were more girls per guy. In the 00s there are way more guys than girls. It's the law of the market. So instead of someone putting on a few drops of cologne and getting lonely hearts to bed him, we are confronted by tattoo bearing, multi-pierce grrrrls that want to drive (in all senses of the word).

In that instance, I am not condemning, not approving. As a Republican, Conservative, I guess it's the justice of the marketplace. But also, as a male, I'm looking for that reverse swing.
jabailo

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For whom?

That is my question for all those who ask me to save the planet, or to reduce immigration or clean up the environment.

We live in a world where 3% of the people own 84% of the wealth. This wealth, I have read, if correctly distributed, would give every person 6 acres of land. Instead, even the so-called middle class are reduced to have two people working just to pay off the standard 100x40 plot of land -- after 30 years of back breaking labor.

Who should fight in our wars? Well, based on who gets the most, shouldn't Bill Gates be driving around in a Humvee in Baghdad? I mean, he gets the most, so shouldn't he fight for it more?

Then there is immigration...which gets me mad. I find that very often I have so much more in common with people from the international community of developers and business people than the typical American on the street. The Indian technologist and the Chinese mathematician speak my language. The rapper and the real estate developer do not.

I look around and sometimes feel as if I am Rip Van Winkle -- I look around and see a world that has changed so much that I do not belong in it. I try to adapt and watch "American Idol". I nod my head -- hey that was an ok rendition of a Kinks classic, or that was pretty good.

But after a while my head wants to explode and I put on the real thing and I have to flush the waste water of 2007 culture from my brain -- who are these people and what are they doing on my tv set? I have nothing in common with wanna be singers, and actors taking drugs and Tom Cruises and others in the supermarket.

Who are these people? Did the Earth get taken over by aliens sometime after 1980 -- like in the John Carpenter film where you can see them if you wear sunglasses?

This is my America. I was five years old and watching the Memorial Day parade going down Rockaway Boulevard in South Ozone Park Queens, New York. I was standing on the curb -- and of course, the whole town was there to watch the parade and all traffic cut off.

I was a kid and maybe looking down at the ground, maybe tired, I had an American flag on a wooden stick in my hand, drooping as some veterans of World War Two were parading by -- nothing extrodinary, my Dad and his buds from the American Legion.

A woman came up to me. She scolded me. "Do you see those troops?" she said. "Those men went to war and fought and some died for this country. Don't let that flag droop. Hold that flag up." And I woke up and did what she said.

That's my America. That's the place of normal people in a community doing hard work, and getting the reward.

Maybe I should go back to sleep -- maybe it will all turn around and Britney Spears will be erased from the cultural memory banks.
jabailo

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the detriments (among the many) of living in the Puget Sound region is the complete absence of females, aged 20 to 40.

And by female, I mean the real thing...the kind that wears dresses and doesn't have the history of materials impaled on her face (The Silver Age, the Pewter Age, the Age of Belly Rings).

Because of this dearth of prime aged females, we have the ignoble downside of lots of guys wandering around and either acting like girls, or, even more reprehensible, acting towards me as if I were a girl!

And I'm not talking gay...I just talking about the type of male loneliness that comes from being in prison or the military...only it's everyday street life here in Seattle. Lots of beery smelling, tobacco ridden guys, wandering around as if the street were their prison yard. On the odd occasion when a reasonably attractive female walks the street around here, it wouldn't be but a few seconds before she's swarmed.

Why the extreme imbalance? Oh, probably because of Y-chromosome attractors like Boeing and Microsoft as well as innumerable military bases. I guess Seattle, the Gold Rush town, has always been in dire need for females -- having imported almost all the originals as prostitutes to sell to settlers and gold diggers.

Well, at least there's some good beer and coffee here.
jabailo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Black Artists who are Rock and Roll Reply with quote

With all the labels in music, it's sad that some who should be appreciated historically are not, because they are not enough of this or that category that they were pigeon holed into. So, one thing that bothers me, is there are some black "soul", "funk" or other "urban" artists who -- to me -- are just Rockers...Rock and Rollers....Rock Artists. These are they

Ike & Tina Turner. I'm listening to "Live, Raw & Funky". This is live Rock Music. It's not "soul singers" covering rock songs. It's Rock Musicians covering Soul Songs -- the way any Anglo-English Rock Band would!

Sly & The Family Stone. They're Power Pop...a form of Rock and Roll. They are strong, complex vocals, harmonies, rock melodies. These guys R-O-C-K in the O-A-K-L-A-N-D

Prince. This guy is a Rock Artist. He's not funky at all. He's funky the way say Eric Clapton might get a little funky in a riff...but mostly HE ROCKS. The Cross is one of the greatest guitar rock songs of all time. Every Classic Rock station should be playing The Cross.

Lenny Kravitz. Well, ok, we know already.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Every Thread a Diary All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: