You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index You-Read-It-Here-First
A collection of textual novelties

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you want to read the articles here, go ahead, just click on a forum and find a thread that interests you...no need to register! If you want to post something... either new or in response to someone here, then click the Register link above. It's free... and it's fun to write your ideas here. You can even create a "blog" by starting a personal thread in the Daily Life Every Thread A Diary section...

The Incredible Difficulty of Being

Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Ideas about software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabailo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: The Incredible Difficulty of Being Reply with quote

Our modern objects are incredibly difficult. I notice this just moving around, cleaning and living in my one-bedroom apartment. The appliances, products, devices produced by our factories, are very, very difficult to deal with.

Every comic has lamented about the difficulty of plastic packaging. For items like electronics or CDs, it's all but impossible to open them without some type of cutting instrument, specifically a sharp one.

But that's not all. It's as if each item we deal with is made completely independently from all other items. Like my refrigerator. There are all these containers and shelves -- but really, they don't seem very well adapted to any of the food I purchase and put in the fridge. At best, they get in the way and I'd rather just as much free space as possible!

Getting to the car is cumbersome -- all cars. They are either too low, or too high. They are uncomfortable and the position we drive in is in a way ridiculous -- it's more akin to that in which we watch tv -- safely from a La-Z-Boy -- but not one that should be used for piloting a 2 ton craft at 60 mph.

It goes on and on, and our software is no exception. Take me. I like to blog -- that means, I see or experience things and then I want to write about them. You'd think that the current internet, desktop software and portable hardware would be well suited to this task?

But it's not -- it's not at all! Most portable PDA/phone type devices are way too small for any type of enlongated typing. They are good for SMS and 'chat' situations. Typing something even the size of a blog essay is impossible. Then there is the standard desktop -- well obviously you can't carry that around...and it too is cumbersome. It takes a whole lot more steps to get it into position -- that is, power up, load, find the application, open the document, or connect to the site, go into edit mode...What ever happened to sit down at the Olivetti and pour your tale out!

Oh yeah, there's notebooks -- I've avoided these things entirely. They have all the same issues as the desktops as far as the long travel time between sitting down and getting to the point of being able to write. Plus after 15 years, the batteries run out way too fast! They are also too hot (it just bothers me) and too sensitive, breakable and I don't like carrying around a $600 to $2000 device around with me since I'm prone to leaving my socks in the gym locker and tend to lose stuff.

All I want is a writing device. I want a screen, and a keyboard. I want a power switch. I want a text editor that has two features -- open and save. And I want it to save to the Internet directly.

I want it to have a bit of storage, but no whirring disk drives. It should be able to be powered with a few AA batteries (and I can use off the shelf rechargeables or that little generator the OLTP is selling).

I don't want icons, applications, OS stuff, accessories or any of the rest.

And I want to pay $50 for it.

It will relieve some of the incredible difficulty of being.
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Ideas about software All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: