You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index You-Read-It-Here-First
A collection of textual novelties

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you want to read the articles here, go ahead, just click on a forum and find a thread that interests you...no need to register! If you want to post something... either new or in response to someone here, then click the Register link above. It's free... and it's fun to write your ideas here. You can even create a "blog" by starting a personal thread in the Daily Life Every Thread A Diary section...

Filming with qubits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Ideas about software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabailo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Filming with qubits Reply with quote

I want a quantum computer...in fact, I have always wanted one since I was a little kid (b. 1960), even though they weren't defined until 1978 by Feynman and they weren't programmable until 1995 (Shore) and they didn't start building them until 2000 and they just released information about D-Wave, a commercial QC this month (maybe...there are some skeptics).

The past decades of programming Turning machines have been a strain and a sweat. For me, programming in languages like c or FORTAN or basic are like being a Special Education teacher trying to get an other abled student to learn. Maybe my metaphor is inspired by The Miracle Worker, the method acting enabled story of Helen Keller and Anne Sullivan. Anne has to wrestle, punch and get punched (she loses a tooth in the first go round with Helen) and eventually sequester the girl in an isolated house at the edge of the plantation to "reprogram" her be able to communicate using language, rather than hysteria.

Each of us Turing programmers are Anne Sullivan's. We can't work around other people when we want to make computers do something important. We have shut the office door, or work at night when there's no one around, to try and make the computer understand. We need this isolation because our charge, the Turing Computer (TC), is so damned autistic, that code has to be spelled out exactly to make it work and the slightest interruption throws it off.

foreach(string s in myString) {
Console.Writeln(s);
}

will work.

foreac (string s in myString) {
Console.Writeln(s);
}

doesn't. Imagine an employee who can't complete a task assigned in email because of a single spelling error! Think of all the information stored in DNA and the amount of error correcting that goes on every day, and yet computers really have nothing more than Intellisense in the IDE.

The computer that I have always wanted is the one that will transform my words into video. That is, I have always wanted to be a filmmaker -- but I don't want to make films. I have always wanted to be a director -- but I don't like actors and certainly wouldn't want to manage them. They would never seem to look like the people I would want to describe. I have always wanted to be screenwriter -- but I couldn't stand having my work translated by another. And yes, I have always wanted to be an author -- but quite frankly, the novel really is dead and I can barely stand reading for more than 20 minutes before I switch on the TV where I can easily take in information for hours or go gaming on the PC (for more like 8 hours).

What I want is a computer where I can type:

Scene: Tree. Boy near base. Launches Model Rocket.

And then the computer renders it. Not as CG. Not rotoscoped where you have to film the whole thing with "actors" (ugh) and then color by numbers on it...but real ab nihil moving images that are lifelike.

And I don't want it to just renderit...I want it to understand. What I want is a film crew in a box (e-Crew) complete from casting to post production, and staffed by the best and the brightest (sorry Turning Machine). In goes the text, out comes the movie, but it's a movie created with Lazlo Kovacs.

In some sense, I even went to work at Microsoft back in 1988, selling my soul for the wrong reason (does the contract count if you don't get what you paid for?). I thought they might build the e-Crew for me, but they were more concerned with filling in the product slots of their monopoly, although I did learn how to burn a CD and master a multimedia page (...it involved compiling an RTF document with special tags for media inserts and hyperlinks...the result could then be looked at on Microsoft Viewer...and that was in 1992, about 3 years pre-WWW).

I'm hoping that the QC will be my e-Crew. One worry...based on watching too many Outer Limits no doubt: after working for me for a few years, the QC may want to go independent and direct itself!
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Ideas about software All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: