You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index You-Read-It-Here-First
A collection of textual novelties

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you want to read the articles here, go ahead, just click on a forum and find a thread that interests you...no need to register! If you want to post something... either new or in response to someone here, then click the Register link above. It's free... and it's fun to write your ideas here. You can even create a "blog" by starting a personal thread in the Daily Life Every Thread A Diary section...

Diabetes and World Oxygen Levels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Science Hoop Shots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should science focus more on oxygen as a source of disease?
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
Not A Factor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Can't Decide, Need More Research
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Call The Looney Bin, This One's Cracked
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 2

jabailo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Diabetes and World Oxygen Levels Reply with quote

Since the 1980s a spate of viral diseases have plagued mankind. AIDs an hepatitis like illnesses became and continue to be rampant. We attribute these to the change in lifestyles -- specifically, drug abuse, sexual freedom and so on. Then there are also metabolic diseases like diabetes, which have increased threefold in recent years, which we attribute to our diet, full of sweets and cancers from our technologies, chemicals and smoking.

I have another idea. I suspect it's the air, or rather lack of it. I think we have been suffering oxygen depravation from a worldwide trend in due to decreased forestation and increased carbon monoxide levels (which may have nothing to do with man but may be part of "climate change").

The thing about the viral diseases is -- those types of viruses have always been with us, for hundreds of thousands of years. What's happened is that for some people, they are now susceptible to them. Something has lowered their bodies ability to fight them. With diabetes -- well, the whole thing is based on our ability to metabolize sugars. That is -- to burn them inside the body. Part of that equation is what the doctors focus on -- too much fuel, not enough enzymes (insulin). That they don't focus on is the oxidizer, oxygen. I think that even 0.5% changes might be noticeable by some portion of the population and this is exactly what we see.

How did I come to this leap of logic? First hand experience. I find that where I live, on Kent East Hill, WA (98030) that due to the proximity to highways, and a kind of "stagnant" weather pattern, I was started to develop early symptoms of diabetes - numbness in extremities. I attributed to old age and a poor diet (soda, fast food) that I took on especially after being divorced.

But last summer, I started camping up in some wooden state parks around Washington. I found that after a day -- or rather after about 5 or 6 hours of resting in a dense pine forest, that many of my symptoms decreased considerably, my appetite went up, and I didn't feel as bad. I kept mental notes of where I was and what the environment was when I "felt better" and it was always associated with cleaner, more pristine air...not diet...as when I felt better, I consumed many more sweets and alcohol even without the sick feelings.

I wonder if we focused on the "oxidizer" side of the metabolic process rather than the input and enzyme side whether we would understand these diseases more.
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
brian-hansen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dimly recall hearing that the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere has
increased by a measurable but small percentage in the last, say, 100 years.

So it makes sense to me that oxygen levels (as a percentage of the total
chemical composition of air) may have decreased. Do you have a reference
for historic, measurable changes to atmospheric gases? If so, I think it would
be a good public service to post it (them) here.

Meantime, I'd like to take back my vote. Somehow, from the question,
I thought it was refering to too much oxygen causing problems, rather
than too little.

-Brian
jabailo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I dimly recall hearing that the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere has increased by a measurable but small percentage in the last, say, 100 years.

Carbon dioxide isn't a factor for me. CO is. CO can bond with hemoglobin because it has the same molecular "ends" as oxygen. That's why sitting in a car with the engine running can kill us. I think that pollution of CO gases can cause the diseases mentioned.

As far as worldwide oxygen levels, there is some sketchy information about what they are and have been historically -- but like many hard facts that I'm interested in, Google draws a dry well.

Quote:
Meantime, I'd like to take back my vote.

My administrative powers, while magnificent, are not enough to alter the ballot. The People have spoken!
brian-hansen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some recent articles in The Oregonian, it is noted that
the Portland area has concentrations of benzene that are
15-20 times the level that is considered safe by the EPA.

Follow up articles explain that both Oregon and Washington
have this problem. Ironically, the rationale is that oil companies
are allowed to sell high-benzene gasoline in OR and WA because
these two states have overall low pollution levels.

This information is consistent with my view that the problem
you describe is only marginally a lack of oxygen. I suspect
it is more about the stuff that's there instead of the oxygen.

-Brian
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
jabailo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, lack can occur in two ways. One is the simple "lack" of the material. The other is, the inability of someone to get to it. For example, you can live in an O2 rich environment, but if someone introduces a lot of CO (carbon monoxide) that will bond with the hemaglobin faster and prevent the O2 from getting to your brain.
jabailo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As far as worldwide oxygen levels, there is some sketchy information about what they are and have been historically -- but like many hard facts that I'm interested in, Google draws a dry well.

Atmospheric Oxygen Levels Fall As Carbon Dioxide Rises
http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/12/14/205855.php

Quote:
According to a study conducted by scientists from the Scripps Institute there is less oxygen in the atmosphere today than there used to be. The ongoing study, which accumulated and interpreted data from NOAA monitoring stations all over the world, has been running from 1989 to the present. It monitored both the rise of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and the decline in oxygen. The conclusion of that 20 year study is that, as carbon dioxide (produced primarily by burning fossil fuels) accumulates in the atmosphere, available oxygen is decreasing.
jabailo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDC: U.S. obesity rates leveling off
http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/diet.fitness/11/28/cdc.obesity.rates.ap/index.html

Quote:
ATLANTA, Georgia (AP) -- U.S. adult obesity rates seem to have leveled off, at least temporarily, the government reported Wednesday.

About 33 percent of adult men and 35 percent of U.S. women were obese in 2005-2006, according to a comprehensive survey by the federal government that includes physical examinations.

That's more than 72 million people, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The new rates were slightly higher than the 31 percent and 33 percent reported in the 2003-2004 survey, the CDC said in a report released Wednesday. However, the increases were not considered statistically significant, health officials said.

The adult obesity rate has generally been climbing since 1980, when it was 15 percent. There have been occasional plateaus, as occurred between 1999-2000 and 2001-2002.

According to my theories of Global Warming and Diabetes, this would align. I am expecting a leveling in CO2 levels and O2 depletion. Again, my theory is that both CO2 rise and Global Warming are natural processes. The human body has been having problems adapting to the increased CO2 and decreased O2 levels and cannot oxidize food as well. This accounts for most of the obesity increases. The CO2 is a result of massive releases from melting permafrost and also from cutting forests (well, ok, is that manmade or nature made...I suggest it's still nature made in that the forests were holding lots of CO2 to begin with. I also believe that trees are not the best possible vegetation for most life forms and that lower level plants would do more good for more species).
jabailo

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-sci-obesity28-2008may28,0,5707538.story

Quote:
The stunning three-decade rise in childhood obesity that prompted the government to declare an "epidemic" of fat appears to have leveled off, although the rate is still more than three times higher than in the 1970s, researchers reported today.

The analysis was based on data from tens of thousands of children showing that the percentage of obese youngsters has been roughly stable since 1999 in every age and racial group they surveyed.

1999 is also the year that global warming essentially stopped and temperatures have been leveling or even declining since then. Connection? I still lean towards the oxygenation model (lack of oxygen causing insufficient digestion). As we know CO2 levels have continued to climb but we're talking about O2. Alternatively we could be looking at CO -- which can bond with hemoglobin in the same way as O2 but ultimately cause asphyxiation.
Time Clock

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: heavy breathing Reply with quote

Among the naturalist cures for cancer, one of them is sleeping outside under the trees at night instead of inside. (urm... I hope I didn't use the nudist term there, ala astrology vs astronomy; I know they have one that sounds like back-to-nature medicine, but means back-to-nature attire)

Anyway, cancer is anarobic, or can't live in the presence of oxygen. People go to foreign hospitals and have hydrogen peroxide injections in an attempt to get higher oxygen levels and (hopefully) defeat the cancer.

My theory is much simpler - hyperventilate. Start over-breathing until your cheeks go numb, periodically just to clear out cancer. Supposedly we always have a few cancer cells floating around in us while we're healthy. But if we're sickly the cancer's growth can outpace our body's ability to deal with it. (and unrelated to oxygen, the body's Ph balance is important too; eat celery)

Maybe I'm carzy, who knows. But I hyperventilate from time to time just on the off-chance it's a good ldea, and for all I know I've stumbled onto the cure for cancer.

Which brings up another point - I've seen Yoga people try to claim a headache cure - "clear your mind, rock your body, hum or chant, breathe deeply, and you'll reduce or eliminate a headache very quickly." Well that may be true, but you can do it with just the breathing. So next time you get a caffiene headache (that's the only kind I've tested this on), hyperventilate, and you'll find your headache quickly diminishes and you may just stave off cancer at the same time unawares.
jabailo

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recent articles have propounded that more sleep equals less obesity.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-michael-j-breus/sleep-weight-loss_b_862093.html

I made this (self-referential) comment:

Quote:
I've been nursing a theory that the obesity epidemic has something to do with the changing proportion of atmospheri­c gases (whether due to "global warming" or not is irrelevant­).

Clearly the effects were seeing are similar to that of situation where CO2 levels are heightened­.

During sleep we go into a low burn state, maybe even anaerobic, so we can perhaps digest more.
jabailo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Important Role Oxygen Plays in Cancer Treatment

Quote:
When growing, cancer cells show a change where they have lower levels of oxygen. This may stem from dysfunctions in the cell's mitochondria (known as cellular "factories" that play a major role in cell respiration). If these issues go unchecked, it leads to further complications and malfunctions in apoptosis (programmed cell death). You may remember from biology class, mitochondria have two main functions: energy creation and policing uncontrolled division of cells.

Nobel Prize winner Dr. Otto Warburg famously hypothesized "…the prime cause of cancer is the replacement of the respiration of oxygen in normal body cells by a fermentation of sugar," meaning, cancer is caused by a lack of oxygen. Today's modern cancer cell biology has shown he was on the right track as mitochondrial health and shifting to a more oxygen-rich environment may protect healthy cells and further neuter cancer cells.

http://envita.com/cancer/the-important-role-oxygen-plays-in-cancer-treatment
Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Science Hoop Shots All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: