You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index You-Read-It-Here-First
A collection of textual novelties

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you want to read the articles here, go ahead, just click on a forum and find a thread that interests you...no need to register! If you want to post something... either new or in response to someone here, then click the Register link above. It's free... and it's fun to write your ideas here. You can even create a "blog" by starting a personal thread in the Daily Life Every Thread A Diary section...

Bacterial Marketing .vs. Viral Marketing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> The First One is Free
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabailo

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Bacterial Marketing .vs. Viral Marketing Reply with quote

How about Bacterial Marketing?

The concept grows slowly and steadily entering the memesphere.

Not quite as severe or as fast as viral...yes does not burn out as quickly.

Remains in the mind, dormant, but still infectious, for months.
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
brian-hansen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very clever idea, indeed.

I like what you write, and would add some thoughts.

Viruses are lifeless shapes of molecules, so I've been taught, that take over the cellular processes of living things, causing their own replication and multiplication into the environment.

While we might think of both as parasites, bacteria have a "life of their own".

While I know there are "good bacteria", I've never heard of a "good virus".

Viruses and bacteria can both cause harm to people, but operate on different principles and pathways.

So if a meme is a virus, it doesn't have a life of its own, it would be an idea that was "shaped" in a way that fit into people's mental life. It would take over a portion of the victim's mind, causing him to re-emit it , directly or indirectly, back out into the memetic environment. There could be visible signs of damage to cells from an actual virus, so there could also be "visible" signs of damage to a psyche from the virulent nature of the memes that this psyche was exposed to.

A viral onslaught turns the victim into a pure echoer. And then they die, though clever parasites learn not to kill their hosts, in a way of speaking.

Viral infection, now, seems a little like sex, what happens when a virus mates with a cell. But to a bacteria, it seems, we (and especially our cells) are food. Bacteriological marketing doesn't try to seduce you into echoing and propagating itself (it takes care of that in a different arena), but instead eats away at you directly.

The first example I think of is some product that is embarassing. Word of mouth advertising might not move more hemmorhoid cream. You'd need bacteriological marketing for that case, for instance.

Viruses, I think, are the ones that are good at laying dormant, while bacteria need a continuous chain of life, of day-to-day activity. A bacterium only thrives if it continues to meet the challenges of its environment. It has to work for gains, and reproduce slowly. Growth could be exponential, if the conditions are right, but that is because of the collective success of myriad individual cells. A virus, on the other hand, grows by attacking the cell, and tapping into the cellular machinery to amplify its own message.

Bacteriological marketing would be targeted. No word of mouth required. It could be top-down, or bottom-up.

When a bacterium is "infectious" it acts also like the virus, but must be active, in some way, in order to find food and to survive.

========================

Yes. Interesting point of departure...
jabailo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed...while viruses are parasitic, there are many types of bacteria that are symbotic and even beneficial to the host. I just reading this article, Girls Who Play In Dirt Grow Up Healthier which says,

Quote:
Being exposed to high amounts of bacteria found in dirt can actually help build a healthier immune system.

And of course we're all familiar with the the bacteria in our digestive systems that help break down food. I know of no virus that serves a similar function.

An yes, while it is a facetious, Onion-esque, argument, it is something that does concern me. I don't want to be the old grouser who rails against the 1 minute baby pooper video that takes the world by force with 1 million view per day on YouTube, but I sometimes wonder if that really is not a bad thing about the web (or maybe just the web in its earliest form).

Viruses work by inserting themselves into slots that are often filled by beneficial or even necessary proteins. Hence, the viral marketing slogan could be taking the place of some knowledge or instruction in our memeplex that is necessary for survival.
jabailo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiring Logjam Breaks as CEOs Plan for U.S. Growth

Quote:
Martin Holdrich, senior economist at Woods & Poole Economics Inc. in Washington, said the factory-hiring rebound suggests a recovery in manufacturing employment toward pre- recession levels of 14 million jobs at the end of 2006, from fewer than 12 million last year. Concerns that those losses would all be permanent were overstated, he said.

“Manufacturing is a lot like bacteria,” Holdrich said. “As long as you don’t kill them all, they’ll flourish again when the conditions are right.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-13/hiring-logjam-breaks-as-ceos-plan-fastest-u-s-growth-since-2006.html
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> The First One is Free All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: