You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index You-Read-It-Here-First
A collection of textual novelties

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you want to read the articles here, go ahead, just click on a forum and find a thread that interests you...no need to register! If you want to post something... either new or in response to someone here, then click the Register link above. It's free... and it's fun to write your ideas here. You can even create a "blog" by starting a personal thread in the Daily Life Every Thread A Diary section...

HDMI Cloud

Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Ideas about software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabailo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: HDMI Cloud Reply with quote

Very few of the Cloud Computing "Visions" match my own need or desire. I want to see a variable scale set of services completely hosted on the server. For access to the cloud, I don't want an specific application software running on my client except for the very minimum. I have seen cloud visions that run a "desktop" built in javascript in a browser. While fascinating, it's not a real answer because the processing is still done in large part on the client.

One technology that is rarely mentioned for Cloud Computing is HDMI, described here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Definition_Multimedia_Interface

"The High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) is a compact audio/video interface for transmitting uncompressed digital data"

Well, there it is. What I need is really, really long mouse, keyboard and video cable that run all the way to some massive host that can virtualize a desktop. This host would provide all software installation, high end video delivery services, superfast Internet streaming within its own machine.

All I need my last mile to do is to paint a screen and accept a few keystrokes. Right now I'm using HDMI to connect between my Acer 22W monitor and my nVideo 8800GT video card. As a digital stream it should be possible to send it along a broadband connection, such as my Clear Wimax service (3-4Gbps).

So, cloud builders, take it higher. Push everything streaming and video into the cloud, and just let me tune in like a tv set...
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
brian-hansen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.
jabailo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More evidence that it can be done. Here's a "wireless monitor" router:

http://www.gadgets-reviews.com/index.php?page=post&id=243

Quote:
How does it work? It is very simple. In order to connect your computer with your monitor it uses the wireless network. It can use either 802. 11 a, 802. 11 g, or 802. 11 b. So it will have no problem connecting to your computer.

802.11 are the wireless standards that we use for other things like Wifi. Well, if we can do it locally, we can also do it across a large area using Wimax.

The bottom line is, with a fully Wimaxed network, and true "cloud computing" the only thing you need in the home or in a netbook is the screen, the keyboard, the mouse, the speakers...the CPU can be completely pushed upstream as well as all storage, installed applications, drivers and so on. The netbook, or home media player doesn't even need a GPU (graphics processor unit) which would also sit inside the cloud, as what would be sent on WiMax would be the pixel information. The rendering is done inside the cloud.
jabailo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amimon WHDI Stick brings wireless HD to any device

http://www.geekwithlaptop.com/amimon-whdi-stick-brings-wireless-hd-to-any-device

Quote:
Getting portable devices hooked up to your HDTV has always been a bit of a pain, and while wireless technologies promise the solution to your woes the bulky size of most adaptors have brought their own problems – but Amimon’s new WHDI dongle looks to change all that.

A dual-port device, the Amimon WHDI Stick provides a 3Gb/s wireless transmission system based around the 5GHz unlicensed band that, in concert with an HDMI-connected receiver unit hooked up to your HDTV, provides a full 1080p image from your PC or notebook with no wires required.
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
jabailo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intel shows off an Atom powered tablet with WiDi wireless display technology

http://liliputing.com/2010/09/intel-shows-off-an-atom-powered-tablet-with-widi-wireless-display-technology.html

Quote:
Intel’s WiDi technology (which sounds a bit like “wide eye,” when you pronounce it), is a wireless display technology for streaming video or other content from computer to a big screen TV. To show off the company’s WiDi tech today at the Intel Developer Forum, an Intel rep pulled out a tablet computer with an Intel Atom processor and WiDi capabilities.

In the video below, you can see a big screen TV mirroring the tablet’s display. There’s a little bit of lag, but overall the feature works pretty well and streams high quality audio and video without wires.
jabailo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!

It looks like this technology has come down in price a whole lot faster and cheaper than I thought it ever would!

There are now products on the market that will let you broadcast HDMI from a laptop to your PC in your home for $100 or less!

The Netgear is restricted to certain Intel machines:
http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-PUSH2TV-PTV2000-Adapter-Wireless/dp/B004SBEVSY

But this product from Veebeam, doesn't seem to be restricted:
http://www.amazon.com/Veebeam-HD-Wireless-link-1080p/dp/B004CZ9U96

So, this is stage one in broadcast HDMI. In my architecture, the next stage would be wide area HDMI with an entire virtual desktop -- including video rendering -- accomplished on the Cloud.

All that is sent to the home "smart pad" are screen updates. All that is uploaded are keystrokes, mouse movements, voice commands. No need to "download files".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Ideas about software All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: