You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index You-Read-It-Here-First
A collection of textual novelties

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you want to read the articles here, go ahead, just click on a forum and find a thread that interests you...no need to register! If you want to post something... either new or in response to someone here, then click the Register link above. It's free... and it's fun to write your ideas here. You can even create a "blog" by starting a personal thread in the Daily Life Every Thread A Diary section...

The Design and Use of Autopilot Cars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Ideas about General Transportation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabailo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: The Design and Use of Autopilot Cars Reply with quote

Reading this article...

<b>BMW Tests an Autonomous Vehicle</b>
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2011/08/bmw-tests-an-autonomous-vehicle/

I made some comments about driverless cars...what their design and use might be like:

Quote:
I've thought of that and eventually you'd probably just want an "emergency brake" type thing that anyone in the car can pull to bring it to the side of the road and do a dead halt.

The rest of the time you could just snooze and so on.

The more interesting thing is how would you design a car that was fully self-driving which you could trust? You of course would gain all the space for the steering column. You might have the front seats facing the rear, just like in a railway carriage. You could have much less glass because you wouldn't have to see everything like a driver would...just look at the scenery.

So the basic cab would become more like the back of a limo.

Trucks that were self driving would be even cooler. as the person part of the cab takes up so muich space, you could halve the vertical height of many tractors.

and

Quote:
Yes, one of the benefits of automation would be simply forcing everyone to obey the laws and speed limits. The technology would be roughly the same, so it would average out the driving skills of each vehicle.

What is more, as I mention above, you could radically redesign the passenger section for much more protection around the people, maybe with less glass as you wouldn't have to "see" the other vehicles, so you could be more encased in protective materials.

Coming home by bus from the airport, I also imagine, dialing up your car, and have it come to pick you up!

Or would it just be a perpetually cycling taxi, waiting for someone to "whistle" it via smart phone.

And how about shopping and drive through. In Fort Collins, CO, I found a tasty suburban eatery called Fazoli's that let you get Italian dinners (lasagna, fettuccine al fredo ) from a drive through! How about sending my autopilot car out to fetch the food...have them pop it in the trunk and bring it back. Why not a specialized truck with heaters to keep food warm that can make several stops and visit several neighborhoods.

Losing the driver makes the car unbound to the owner.

Losing the driver makes the car unbound to steering and looking mechanisms.
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
jabailo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The long and winding road to semi-autonomous driving

Quote:
I am sitting behind the wheel of a car straight out of a banker’s boyhood dream or – for an overcautious driver like me – a pulse-quickening nightmare: a Porsche that drives itself.

The car, a technologically kitted-out version of a Panamera, drives, accelerates and brakes on its own. All I have to do is steer.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b4602ca2-d7c1-11e0-a06b-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1XsJja6zd
brian-hansen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Positively awful idea. A half measure like this would be extremely dangerous. I liked the predictive part, though.
jabailo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you...requiring a driver as a "caretaker" like today's airline pilots is almost worse than just driving.

And as I mention in an above post, the breakthrough is to be able to redesign the car cab entirely to eliminate all the functionality required for a driver's body -- visibility, seating requirements and so on.

Another interesting idea which I expressed in another blog, is that given autopiloting...we could have vehicles of all sorts. You could have an autopilot adult tricycle for delivering goods. An autopilot Little Red Wagon to bring a kid to day care. All kinds of sizes and shapes of vehicles.
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Ideas about General Transportation All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: