You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index You-Read-It-Here-First
A collection of textual novelties

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you want to read the articles here, go ahead, just click on a forum and find a thread that interests you...no need to register! If you want to post something... either new or in response to someone here, then click the Register link above. It's free... and it's fun to write your ideas here. You can even create a "blog" by starting a personal thread in the Daily Life Every Thread A Diary section...

War and Peace On Google

Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Media -- The Extensions of Man
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabailo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: War and Peace On Google Reply with quote

Quote:
Remember the scene with Woody Allen in Annie Hall when he confronts a "media professor" about him knowing anything about Marshall McLuhan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wWUc8BZgWE

I've been reading McLuhan's works, bit by bit...they are so information dense, I'm unable to read more than a page or two at a time. Counterblast. War and Peace In the Global Village. Also the compendium Understanding Me.

Yes, we all know by now that the Medium is the Message...that the effect of various election media on society can range from Hot (books, print) to Cool (Tv, jazz).

The literate society is a creation as much as the post-literate. The pre-Google as well as the post. The questions are is Google really the key technological change.

In 1994, I delivered a speech at Internet World in San Jose, discussing how the Internet was pushing us back towards a literate society. The key technology of the web being text...however that text is different from the tomes included in books. It too was somewhat...warm.

The interactive nature of text (and hence knowledge) on the Web is what is questioning not only communication, but knowledge. When books aren't the only answer, then what are the Great Books of the European literary tradition?

So, this is why Google fears Facebook...because Facebook takes Google -- a Dewey Decimal system for existing state sanctified knowledge -- one better by creating its own community based knowledge shared by Friends among each other!!

We cannot understand the New Media if we don't understand that is more like a collection of jazz musicians, working together, building essay upon comment upon tweet in a wonderful collective whole of thought expressed in text....by all.

My comment to an article on Internet Evolution discussing The Google Effect of having knowledge externalized on the web.

http://www.internetevolution.com/messages.asp?piddl_msgthreadid=240000&piddl_msgid=416872#msg_416872
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Media -- The Extensions of Man All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: