You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index You-Read-It-Here-First
A collection of textual novelties

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you want to read the articles here, go ahead, just click on a forum and find a thread that interests you...no need to register! If you want to post something... either new or in response to someone here, then click the Register link above. It's free... and it's fun to write your ideas here. You can even create a "blog" by starting a personal thread in the Daily Life Every Thread A Diary section...

Rich Folk Ain't Got No Sidewalks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Ideas about General Transportation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabailo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Rich Folk Ain't Got No Sidewalks Reply with quote

This morning I went to a meeting on Mercer Island. For those of you not from Puget Sound, this island is in the middle of Lake Washington, between what is known as "The Eastside" -- newer suburbs and residential areas and Seattle downtown.

It is home to many millionaires and a few billionaires, Paul Allen being the most famous.

The highway that crosses the island, I-90, let me off at the north end, and my destination was all the way at the south, so I rode down the "crest" of the island. I took a more scenic route, very sinuous, past what looked like some very, very wealthy homes...mansions really, that hid inside the rainforest (nw style rain forest). The road was two lanes, and had a narrow shoulder...very narrow in some places.

The funny thing is, there were a lot of people walking along this road. Not just joggers, but dog walkers, and people going to the store and so on. But there was no sidewalk and the shoulder as I said, was maybe half a car width, with all those blind ess curves. I definitely could see these walkers being easy targets, in bad weather or at night.

And now it just struck me. You would think that somehow, these people, with all their money, would have at some point, like many people in poorer communities do -- petition the "government" for a sidewalk. I mean, rich people can be pretty intense and activist. You can imagine angry letters to the city council. But this area of mansions has been around for at least the last 20 years.

It makes me wonder if there is just something "built into" the system that makes it so that roads -- the way we design, build -- do not allow for pedestrians. There is some fixed "pattern" where it's just not conceived that person...especially one with three or four cars, probably two of those SUVs, one sports, one a big luxury sedan...would ever just get bored or stir crazy and want to walk to the shopping area for a cup of coffee.
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
brian-hansen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that this is puzzling.

The easiest guess I would make is that in the past walking was
not valued, and perhaps even actively opposed as an enhancement
of privacy and exclusivity.

The implication would be that walking has become more popular,
and the intension to make walking safe and convenient has not yet caught
up with the new preferences.

Is that what you were getting at?
jabailo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm going for something more.

My experience with governments and trying to get bike paths and pedestrian respect seems to end up with many brick walls -- where the answer is typically no budget or some other constraint. One then wishes to live in this magical world of endless budgets. But now I identify a situation where money and budget as well as recalcitrance on the part of Government should not be a problem.

Yet, here it is...seemly just as real.
brian-hansen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what is it then?
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
jabailo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's something so obvious -- that people don't see it because they are "inattentionally unaware".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo

There are several "blind spots" at work here.

1. The idea that rich people walk
2. The idea that rich people need sidewalks
3. The idea that rich people can automatically get whatever they want from "The system".

I just saw these same blind spots as I drove back from the supermarket where I live.

We constantly talk about "walkability" in the "city"...but here I am in the suburbs...and there are people walking -- or trying to walk -- EVERYWHERE! There are tens...nay, hundreds of people walking...to shops, to supermarkets, to apartments.

Yet, after years of describing this, I have yet to make one "urbist" in Seattle or Government official (who know doubt drives to work every day) truly understand how much walking in the 'burbs is happening right under their noses!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Ideas about General Transportation All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: