You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index You-Read-It-Here-First
A collection of textual novelties

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you want to read the articles here, go ahead, just click on a forum and find a thread that interests you...no need to register! If you want to post something... either new or in response to someone here, then click the Register link above. It's free... and it's fun to write your ideas here. You can even create a "blog" by starting a personal thread in the Daily Life Every Thread A Diary section...

Blade Runner meets Water Filter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Ideas about software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabailo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Blade Runner meets Water Filter Reply with quote

About 2 years ago I bought a GE under the sink water filter, brand-named Smart Water.

I soon learned more about "feeder lines" than I ever wanted to know (they are the lines that run from the hot and cold values up to the faucets).

To install a water filter (other than the screw on types like Brita that attach to the spigot), you have to tap into the cold water feeder. This should be easy, you say. Well, in my old apartment, it had a style of feeder which was built into the valve. There was no way to unscrew the line from the valve. The next best thing was a tee-valve with a screw that would cut into the feeder line...permanent solution obviously and one I did not wish to attempt.

So the SmartWater sat on my shelf until I moved into an apartment with more componentized feeder technology. Hence, I was able to insert the t-value inbetween the cold water valve and the feeder line.

This allowed me to install the Smart Water filter to completion, which included using a hole saw to add a brand new spigot just for purified water to my sink. Now, I always knew that all of this involved a battery because one came with the parts...and I had assumed that it provided some type of charge for reverse osmosis...or something. However, when following the diagram, it advised me that the battery goes into a compartment inside the spigot. Hmmm...so, I guessed that it was some type of line interrupt maybe, or failure circuit when the filter wasn't working.

A few days later I went an RTFM'd and found the answer. When inserting the battery, it initially flashes 5 times (I didn't notice). After that, it sits there, counting the hours, until 6 months later when it starts flashing again...indicating its time to buy a new filiter!

Holy 2012...it's a semi-annual clock! A technology solely designed to alert me when it's time to buy something from the manufacturer. What if everything had such a light. Your shoes for example. They could start blinking based on the time it takes for an average sole to wear down...or for the typical upper style to go out of fashion. Chairs, lamps, cameras could all tell us -- hey, refill us, reload us or just plain replace us at this time.
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
brian-hansen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those shoes have walked over surfaces you people wouldn't believe..."
brian-hansen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile, everything in my house would be blinking red.
Paavo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, like other member said that are the people doing believe in what you are saying. So it can be explain very well for those people who donít believe it. And I think if understand what you are saying that is very well good.

My {url=http://www.articlecycle.<spam>.com/}TV shows{ /url} water station
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
brian-hansen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paavo, you are like some kind of disease. Don't spam here anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Ideas about software All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: