You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index You-Read-It-Here-First
A collection of textual novelties

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you want to read the articles here, go ahead, just click on a forum and find a thread that interests you...no need to register! If you want to post something... either new or in response to someone here, then click the Register link above. It's free... and it's fun to write your ideas here. You can even create a "blog" by starting a personal thread in the Daily Life Every Thread A Diary section...

Resonance in my Residence

Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Energy Alternatives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabailo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Resonance in my Residence Reply with quote

I live in an apartment complex composed of numerous townhouse style buildings...3 stories, two stair cases, 1,2 & 3 bedrooms at each landing. They are wood frame, fairly lightweight construction.

I noticed from using my washing machine that that I could set the whole building shaking. (I don't know if it was me first that did it, or whether a neighbor made me think it was an earthquake while doing the kids pants.)

Today I was listening to hiphop artist Common's Universal Mind Control on Rhapsody. My sound chip is built into my motherboard, but seems as if it should be quite good since its made by nVidia. Although I think my actual speakers and external amp are a bit on the cheap side. Still it can be made to sound good, I've found, by tweaking the equalizer software.

Initially I was playing the album with my settings I use for movies...dialog I've found, can often sound muddled unless I punch up the high end. Then I used one of the presets, Rap. Sounded better, bassy of course, but missing out on some of the music because Common is more of an alternative (geeky) type of rapper with lots of complications. So I punched it up again on the 250hz and 500hz sliders and then I hit it -- the resonant frequency of my building.

I knew I shouldn't have but I couldn't resist. Talk about a "Housequake", even at moderate volume, I turned building GG into my own speaker enclosure!

Solid.
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Energy Alternatives All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: