You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index You-Read-It-Here-First
A collection of textual novelties

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you want to read the articles here, go ahead, just click on a forum and find a thread that interests you...no need to register! If you want to post something... either new or in response to someone here, then click the Register link above. It's free... and it's fun to write your ideas here. You can even create a "blog" by starting a personal thread in the Daily Life Every Thread A Diary section...

Ghost Lot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> I Was There
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabailo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Ghost Lot Reply with quote

I live in a large apartment complex, 3 story buildings running A through double H. Each building has at least two stair wells and 3 landings with 2 apartments on each landing. And each apartment has 1 to 3 bedrooms.

That's a lot of apartments. For the first few years here, my car situation was on again, off again...I'd buy something, it would break, I'd get rid of it...so I would go whole months just using the bus. In the past 2 years I've been using a working car more and so I'm attuned to the lottery of the parking space. I found that if I got back any time later than 5pm, it was impossible to find a "good space", one that abutted the same grass area as my apartment. There were only 3 that were right near my walkway, and getting one of those meant securing it by 3pm. After 9pm it was impossible to get any "good" space and after 11pm I had to drive around in a circle looking for anything that was open!

However, just after November the bottom must have fallen out for parking spaces, and today, I can waltz in at any time and get a fairly good space! I also notice a lot of U-Hauls moving out and a lot more quiet. My neighbors down one flight and to the left were a human Boombox, with parties, noise, shouting going on all the time. I think they finally moved and the silence is deafening. Also, there would be cars zooming down the little street outside my balcony blasting hip-hop beats at bass levels that probably sent Orcas in the Pacific into gyrations. No more. (To add to the stunning quiet, I also found that I could set my computer fans to "quiet" mode, where as before they were on "optimal" and it was like having a hair dryer on all the time.)

I ask the question: where did everyone go? Housing prices around here have not really fallen that dramatically yet, so I don't think they became homeowners...here at least. Quiet frankly, this is still a really expensive place to buy a house, and I'm wondering if a lot of the families, who were working poor, went to places that are warmer, sunnier and cheaper to live than the Northwest.

I also think we had some Katrina victims come in and by now they too would have found their way home or to someplace a bit less like Saskatchewan and more like the Big Easy.

I actually like the quiet. But its new, and my mind races for an answer.

Where did they go?
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> I Was There All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: