You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index You-Read-It-Here-First
A collection of textual novelties

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you want to read the articles here, go ahead, just click on a forum and find a thread that interests you...no need to register! If you want to post something... either new or in response to someone here, then click the Register link above. It's free... and it's fun to write your ideas here. You can even create a "blog" by starting a personal thread in the Daily Life Every Thread A Diary section...

Death Race 2009

Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Bicycle / Pedestrian Transportation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabailo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Death Race 2009 Reply with quote

I am amazed at the denigration of the human body in the unenclosed form of a walker or bicycle. The number of times I have been hit or near hit by cars must approach 10 in the last few years. Even more are the encounters at crosswalks, driveways...even parking lots.

The thing that astounds me is that automobile drivers simply refuse to recognize a pedestrian as having any rights whatsoever. The insults abound.

As I walk along a sidewalk, after a snowfall, cars and buses zoom by, their tires run through puddle and water, ice and debris splash up onto me. I am expected to grin and bear it, or seek shelter -- even though I am on my side of the street...the sidewalk.

Now, imagine it the other way around. Imagine if I walked up to someone's car, and hurled dirty ice and road gravel at it. Of course, all heck would break loose, with gun play and serious injury as possible outcomes!

Do you comprehend the horror of this situation...that a person, enclosed in a two-ton sheath of mobile metal and plastic, sees himself as "superior" to a person walking?

How about this: How about, my body is my personal property. If you attack me with a two-ton metal vehicle, I would have the right to self-defense. I have the right to fight back against you to the level of injustice you inflict upon me.

The sadness is...this to me would be logical. Yet, I doubt if it would prevail in court in our society.
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
brian-hansen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This rage is fresh in you.

It reminds me of when I was primarily a pedestrian, about
10 years ago. Inspired by a hard-core pedestrian friend of mine,
I devised the notion of "militant pedestrianism".

In short, it involved changing one's automatic response to
dangers raised in encounters with cars. One example:
sometimes the best way to avoid being run over is to leap onto
a car's hood. I tap the car that comes too close and threatens
me (almost go beat up that way once). Back then I was
prepared to kick in the quarterpanel of a car that threatened
me. After their "attack", my kick would just be panic or a kind
of automatic response.

I've never been beat up, but my friend has.
jabailo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just this month I was walking home from Top Food with a knapsack full of groceries and frozen pie in my hands. As I came to a driveway from a strip mall, walking towards he traffic, as usual there was a driver exiting who was looking towards the traffic but not the other way.

Sometimes I will clap my hands or shout at the person to get their attention (or, on my bike, I use a Zounds air horn which, though tiny, is loud enough to stop a stampede of buffalo), I decided to be mellow and wait for her, an elderly woman in a Subaru, to make her turn.

She didn't seem to be going any time soon however, and eventually, she turned her head, noticed me, and nodded. That seemed to be the "go ahead" signal, right? As I walked in front of her car, she began her exit and almost plowed into me...I say, almost because of my fancy footwork that let me move out from in front of her, and then slam on the hood.

I was steamed and started arguing with her. All I wanted was for her to roll down the window and acknowledge that she had nearly run me down. Instead, she made a kind of smiling face of "oh, what's come on" which infuriated me even more! I took the pie and threw it at her! Oh, I wish it had not been frozen and was a coconut custard with a lot of whipped cream on the top so as to leave a nice white mess on her passenger window.

She drove off and I telephoned 911 (I took down her license) to report reckless driving. 911 around here is useless as they spend the first 10 minutes making you describe your "address".

What's the address?

Well, it's a driveway at a mall.

Yes, but what is the address?

Well, there's a Staples about 100 yards away.

What's the cross street.

Well, I'd have to walk a half block so I can read the little green sign that's hanging halfway down...don't you guys have GPS so you can pinpoint me?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Bicycle / Pedestrian Transportation All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: