You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index You-Read-It-Here-First
A collection of textual novelties

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you want to read the articles here, go ahead, just click on a forum and find a thread that interests you...no need to register! If you want to post something... either new or in response to someone here, then click the Register link above. It's free... and it's fun to write your ideas here. You can even create a "blog" by starting a personal thread in the Daily Life Every Thread A Diary section...

Is infinity + infinity > infinity?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Units of Measurement
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Time Clock

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Is infinity + infinity > infinity? Reply with quote

Well it is if you're talking about living forever. Many people have the hope of eternal life, but there are two eternities to consider. The one going forward from here and the one that has always been.

Just think of everything we've missed out on already. Ostensibly we can experience time going forward, and study history to have a minor involvement of what has already been, but that's about it.

As far as I know, I have already missed out on one eternity, I certainly don't want to miss out on the next one :)

There are some (Rosicrucians?) and probably many others who believe we have always been around. I think Scientology believes that too. But anyway, I have a weird theory that I don't subscribe to but it's interesting nonetheless:

Suppose we are all "time diving" so that when we sign up for a run we get born, unwittingly live our life however it turns out, and when we're done we can see how things went this time around. We can dive back in, at any time we want, be born, and live life as a different person in that same time, hoping to do better, or as good, or whatever. You could unknowingly meet dozens of your other selves, or your friends, in that same time. Under this model, "Love thy neighbor as thyself" takes on new meaning, because the other guy might really BE you.

There's serious problems with the theory, but I carry it around in the back of my head for exactly that purpose: application of the Golden Rule.
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
brian-hansen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the impression that you aren't asking about a mathematical truth here,
but something different. The mathematical answer is "No". It has been
quite a long time since I dredged this up, but infinity + infinity maps directly
onto infinity, and is "aleph 0".

The case you describe is adding "apples and oranges", an infinite past and
an infinite future. I don't believe in either of those entities, still, adding them
would be like having an infinity of apples and an infinity of oranges.
Time Clock

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Yum! Reply with quote

I would settle for an infinity of chocolate :)
jabailo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Is infinity + infinity > infinity? Reply with quote

Time Clock wrote:

The person who tried to answer this question is the mathematician Georg Cantor. He used tables of series to explain what happens "beyond infinitely", using the Aleph as a measurement of levels of infinity. He eventually went so far down that path of thought, he became insane! (So beware...and maybe watch some football in between thinking about infinity...)

This book, if I remember correctly, was a good blend of narrative and mathematics:

The Mystery of the Aleph: Mathematics, the Kabbalah, and the Search for Infinity

http://www.amazon.com/Mystery-Aleph-Mathematics-Kabbalah-Infinity/dp/0743422996/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229814491&sr=8-1
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Units of Measurement All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: