You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index You-Read-It-Here-First
A collection of textual novelties

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you want to read the articles here, go ahead, just click on a forum and find a thread that interests you...no need to register! If you want to post something... either new or in response to someone here, then click the Register link above. It's free... and it's fun to write your ideas here. You can even create a "blog" by starting a personal thread in the Daily Life Every Thread A Diary section...

The Guillotine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Political Euphemisms
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabailo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: The Guillotine Reply with quote

I am announcing a new societal concept: The Guillotine

The Guillotine states:

1. The majority of societies problems are caused by the top 3% of society.

2. The top 3% therefore must be segregated for the general good of the People and the Planet.

3. The form of isolation or sequestering has not been determined.

4. Taking this action will prevent the top 3% from warming the planet further by making movies, organizing electricity-wasting benefit concerts or otherwise getting around a spending a lot of money in the name of "helping".
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
blueberry sushi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: The Guillotine Reply with quote

Argh, last message erased. Trying to remember what I put.

At any rate, I guess that if you're proposing a revolution, I'm all for it. It would, at least, discourage people from becoming obscenely wealthy.

I guess that's why Pol Pot felt the need to cleanse the country of all those elites. Unfortunately, I don't think that a lot of your personal enemies (or should they be enemies of freedom, prosperity, and apple pie?) are on that list. I didn't see Bono or Gore. You might have to define "top 3%" in a noneconomic manner.
jabailo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely....certainly though wealth alone would put people in the top 3% category, but there are also people with large societal "footprints" that use a lot of energy or just bad karma quite out of proportion with the needs of a 6 Billion person planet.
jabailo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: 3% T-shirts Reply with quote

Now you can participate in The Guillotine...get a 3% t-shirt:

http://dyo.customink.com/cink/r.jsp?E=jabailo%40texeme.com&F=3percent3
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
jabailo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Embarassing Riches Reply with quote

Foreign Policy magazine is running a famous people discuss how to save the world series. I was skimming through the usual Global Warming claptrap when I found this suggestion, that I think is exactly right:

http://foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=3787

Quote:
The accumulation and cross-generational transmission of wealth in the United States has gone way too far. When a young hedge-fund manager can take home a sum reminiscent of the gross national product of a small country, something is askew. When a self-made entrepreneur can accumulate enough money to, in effect, purchase that country, something is totally out of whack. It’s impossible to deny that market fundamentalism has gone too far.

Where I would disagree is that he sees this as a result of markets being too "open". I think that its because the current system accelerates high end wealth accumulation through devices like overindulgent patent law that lets the people with money patent and own more intellectual property -- property that they did not create. In essence, the regulations let people steal IP from the poor and give it to themselves.
Time Clock

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: extreme wealth, or just more than your fair share Reply with quote

I know a guy, basically a computer nerd, who created a database website, once it grew beyond his capacity to keep up he brought on board a handful of people (they worked from home), he priced his service as free, but charged what the market would bear for premium services. In 3 short years he was able to sell for 28 million. He sold last year, well after the dot com bubble popped.

He's a good guy, helps others, etc.

So is this bad? I used to begrudge Bill his billions till he started the foundation. Now I'm happy every time I buy MS Office for my Mac <wink>.

Some of us despise the rich, but most of us envy them. The lucky or the hardworking rich.

There is of course the corrupt rich. Hopefully no one envies them.
Quote:
I think that its because the current system accelerates high end wealth accumulation through devices like overindulgent patent law that lets the people with money patent and own more intellectual property -- property that they did not create. In essence, the regulations let people steal IP from the poor and give it to themselves.
Yes, a major tire company was able to get the patents for the inflatable rubber dam which my grandfather invented for almost nothing, by working the legal angles and applying pressure with time on their side. Oil companies buy up patents to alternative energy and shelve them. Old school wealth was grabbed up with the catalytic converter, and I think there's corruption at the root of that story if I remember right. Rich friends of Bush benefit from decisions Bush makes. I could go on and on.

Even Bill was among the corrupt rich a few years back, although I think in his own mind he thought he was just innocently competing using the methods available to him. Still, kudos to the people who went after him.

The rich are usually somewhat untouchable, but I think you're onto something with the patents thing. I'm not sure how it could be fixed, though. In consumer products, patents are quasi-worthless. If you have the resources *maybe* you can protect yourself, but the common thinking I have heard is: "Improve your products faster than they can be copied." That makes all the copies a poor version of yesterday's news, and reduces motivation for people to copy you.

But now you have China, who sometimes through corporate espionage is beating legitimate companies to market with copies of their own products.

Now I'm off topic; China's not a "wealthy person".
jabailo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In 3 short years he was able to sell for 28 million.

Unfortunately in today's world of million dollar suburban houses, 28 Million makes one merely well-to-do.

Quote:
Some of us despise the rich, but most of us envy them.

I don't feel either way about such people when in fact they form businesses and create products that people want.

What I don't like is when a Government is brought in to force people to keep buying things from an entrenched group of insiders, long after the utility or value of those products is gone.

And quite frankly, I feel that on the other end, there shouldn't be any laws banning people from buying those products either.

My own take is that I simply have the right to call a spade a spade, and say, look, see, you can use Linux for free. And you don't have to create a special tax on me so that Government can buy standards that are freely available on the Internet.

And why is it that whenever someone mentions an alternative, some MS apparatchnik pops up from nowhere to start ranting about how "everyone hates Bill". Why is the focus always on the same entrenched hierarchy even in the face of obvious market reasons why alternatives should be looked at?

No. My main criticism of Bill Gates is that if he really was who he says he is, this super nerd who merely wants people to have and use good PC software to help their lives, then he'd be doing everything he could to promote Linux...who knows, maybe releasing Vista is the best way to promote Linux?!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Political Euphemisms All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: