You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index You-Read-It-Here-First
A collection of textual novelties

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you want to read the articles here, go ahead, just click on a forum and find a thread that interests you...no need to register! If you want to post something... either new or in response to someone here, then click the Register link above. It's free... and it's fun to write your ideas here. You can even create a "blog" by starting a personal thread in the Daily Life Every Thread A Diary section...

Job Shops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Ideas about software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabailo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Job Shops Reply with quote

I like this web site:

http://www.earthtools.org/

It takes Google Maps and builds in some added features common to GPS system, such as elevation.

Today, for example, I brought in my GPS to work because I wanted to check on the elevation of the building. It's been raining here heavily (Kent, WA) and there were some articles about the levies along the Green River getting degraded. My Garmin handheld GPS reported elevation of about 18ft. I thought that might be the case, but just to confirm, I went to Google and that's where I found Earth Tools. Sure enough, it listed the elevation at 15 ft.

Sites like Earth Tools really are interesting. It illustrates how fast the web is moving. The idea that Google Maps and Earth, as new as they are, are being remarketed with value added information.

That's why a lot of the Web 2.0 stuff, even though they claim to be the umbrella for this kind of thing, just doesn't strike me as the right note for where things are going.

I like viewing the whole thing more terms of a classic business distribution model...one with factories, warehouses, retailers, remodelers, value-added sellers, job shoppers, and all the classic terms from the 1940's seem more attuned to how Knowledge will be bought and sold. Envisioning sheets of extruded aluminum, making their way to Boeing and being shaped, cut, surfaced and shipped for assembly, is what's coming.
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Ideas about software All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: