You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index You-Read-It-Here-First
A collection of textual novelties

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you want to read the articles here, go ahead, just click on a forum and find a thread that interests you...no need to register! If you want to post something... either new or in response to someone here, then click the Register link above. It's free... and it's fun to write your ideas here. You can even create a "blog" by starting a personal thread in the Daily Life Every Thread A Diary section...

Opening Salvo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Economic Skirmishes on the Borders of the Status Quo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabailo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Opening Salvo Reply with quote

It seems that for the last 3 decades, ever since the 1970s, America is swamped with promotions of radical, climatic change. Doomsters on all sides want to do away with everything and everything...whether its radical reform of government, business, religion...you name it, and someone is telling us to shift our paradigms, or watch for the tipping point.

Wow. I see it differently. I think that the real radical changes in this country happened in the period of 1930 to 1969. Those were the days of the tipping points. After that, we basically lived in an age of criticism...taking potshots and shooting spitballs at the foundations laid then, but really not having any effect. Both the Reagan Revolution and the Hippie Revolution failed to accomplish their goals. What was left was the same Corporate-Welfare state erected during that earlier time, so well defined by John Kenneth Galbraith in his books.

And you know what....Thank God! I say that because most, if not all of human history up until the 20th Century has been a titanic hellhole. Even in the Golden Ages of classic civilization, people were pretty much living in the dirt, eating bad food and drinking polluted water. Who cares is Sappho was rapping like the stars, Joe Pallooka what getting whipped by a slave sargeant and trying to feed a family on a few potatoes!

So, the Status Quo. Again, a lot of people want to oust this or that person. They make the Iraq War out to be doomsday, or terrorism to be the finality of mankind. I say...hey, the glass is half-empty, but also half-full. If you turn off the CRT screen, and put the podcasts on pause, we still have a pretty good society going on. Employment, during the dark days of the recent 2001 Depression was still below 8 percent (below 6 in many states)! People want to paint our President as insensitive to the poor -- yet, recently Social Security was raised this and last year more than it ever has been in the last 15 years! There was Katrina. Yes, for 3 days there was disorder. But after that, there was great order, and tons of relief.

What I'm saying is, things aren't perfect, but I think, they are the best possible given the conditions. That is the message of the status quo forum, and it should be familiar to any engineer who ever had to get something working through compromise, design and whatnot. We'll explore places where things are...well, sort of ok...not on the verge of disaster, or paradise, but good enought for what's intended. And that's another thing. Very often people focus on these areas of human life that are, well, sort of like the weather. The weather is always there, sometimes good, sometimes bad. We live through it. When it rains, we protect ourselves, when sunny, we enjoy. But we shouldn't agonize over each day's weather, we should be having more fun and letting the "system" do its job. Yes, eternal vigilance is the price of liberty, but also, people need to let go of burdening themselves which each and every problem, and start to trust others more, to take care of things and solve problems.

Well, that's what Status Quo is about...I hope you'll be interested, but if not, don't worry, I'll take care of it for you.
Visit the Instant Postcard Collection @ http://instant-postcard-collection.com
Looking for postcards of that favorite place? Family origins? Or that perfect vacation, except for the photos?
Researching your dissertation? Serious collector? Just looking for something neat?
You've found the right place to add to your existing collection, or to start a new one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    You-Read-It-Here-First Forum Index -> Economic Skirmishes on the Borders of the Status Quo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: